chapter 5: Meeting

The moon hung fat and plump in the sky, and crickets chirped nosily in the midnight air. I sped down the road, while Michael set silently in the passenger's seat of the car with one of his hands hanging out of the window. His fingers would occasionally squeeze shut, as if he were trying to capture something invisible. His face was somber and his body seemed tense. Maybe the fact that we were on our way to his home was bothering him. I struggled to find the right words to say to him. He shifted in his seat uncomfortably and let out a deep breath before he turned to me and spoke.

"Jack, I'm so scared," his voice cracked at the end of his statement, and finally he shed his emotionless exterior and began to cry silently into the palms of his hand.

It wasn't long before he couldn't keep the noise in, his choked sobbing and hiccups filled the car. I couldn't understand why but I felt something inside of me go bright with emotion and passion. I couldn't help myself; I wanted to feel him against me. I wanted to sooth him. I pulled the car over to the side of the road, unbuckled my seat belt and turned to him. He quickly looked away and began to swipe at his tears as fast as he could, as if he were ashamed.

"There is nothing to be afraid of, I'm going to keep you safe, Michael." I said before I reached over and gently took his chin in to one of my hands. His skin was flawless even more so beneath the moonlight and his soft and round features were soothing and pleasant

"You're so very beautiful." I whispered in a gentle voice.

His eyes widened as they began to search my face back and forth, as if he couldn't believe what I had just said to him. A few more tears trickled down his cheeks, it only added to his attraction.

I felt myself getting closer to him. His cheeks reddened and his perfect lips parted slightly. It felt as if something was pulling me towards him. I wanted him so badly and not even my common sense could stop me from trying to take him for my own. His eyes had gone lean, and his lips were now a bit puckered. Our faces were only inches away each other, and I could feel his warm breath.

Suddenly my phone rang loudly and we both jumped away from each other. Destroying the soft stillness of the moonlit night, the ringtone was blatant and annoying. I jammed my fingers into my left pocket and felt the phone vibrating against my thigh. When I finally got it out, I saw that Vivian was calling. Her smiling and doing a split was the picture of her caller i.d. I angrily pushed the ignore button on her and tossed the phone to the floor.

I looked back at Michael but the moment was gone. He was now on his side of the car with his hand resting outside of the window again. It was as if nothing had ever happened. The only thing that reminded me that it did happen was the blush across his cheeks and the fact that my body felt warm all over.

We drove the rest of the way in silence until we pulled up to his home. It was small and the white paint was stained and peeling. Trash and random bits of junk were scattered across the overgrown yard. An old rusty car sat in the parking lot and it was obvious that it would never be used again. Michael looked sick to his stomach, as if the place was poisoning him.

"It's okay," I assured him. He looked over to me and gave me a forced smile.

The door was unlocked when he turned the knob, the squealing hinges were so rusty I was afraid they might fall off. I followed Michael though his house, which smelled like cleaning products and earth. The place was tidy but not clean, fresh stains overlapped older stains on the furniture, walls and floors. The center of the floor was swept but the corners were caked with cumulated dirt and lint.

He practically rushed to his room and I had to fast walk to keep up with him. When I walked in, he pulled a small black bag from the bottom of his closet and quickly shoved clothes into it. The room was tiny, smaller than my closet at home, but it was clean. His bed, if you could call it that, was a pile of blankets in one corner, raggedy but obviously well loved stuffed animals sat on top. I was shocked, Michael didn't belong in a place like this. The house was ugly and falling apart and the air was stuffy and stale.