The Giant's Path

The Giant awoke with a start. It was only a bad dream, he thought. Then as he looked around, he recalled that it was not a dream. It was early morning and the sky was beginning to brighten to a light blue against  the dark mountains. He sat up feeling sore. Last night the cold wind had blown ferociously, biting through his light clothing and blankets which were most fit for the lowlands he had come from. Oh, how he hated the cold. When he was alone in a cold place, as he was now, his mind would often recall the memories of how he first got to this place-- not this land where he had helped in the war, but the whole land. Some of the emotions and visual impressions flowed into his mind. Finding himself alone on a frozen mountain; wandering for weeks, panicking, starving, lonely. The flash of memories made him flinch, bringing him back to reality.

       He slowly looked around at his surroundings just to feel secure. Nothing but low brush, rocks and trees, Nothing out of place. Fresh dew had settled as the wind died in the night, creating a frosted appearance over everything. The landscape seemed too still to be real. He wanted to lie down and rest more, but knew that the sooner he got moving, the sooner he could leave this bitter-cold land; and hopefully before it snowed. He would stay in the foothills while he traveled to avoid encounters with people that might slow or endanger him. Surely news of his departure was traveling faster than he was. He should know, after all, because he helped to establish a quick messenger chain that had greatly helped in the war effort. He got up and walked a few yards away to the tree which had his food sack hung in it and untied the knots. Opening it, he found only a dried heel of bread and a tough strip of dried meat. "Only the third day and I'm already out of food." He sighed. "Should've thought of that before I walked away." He quietly ate, then bundled his bedding onto his small pack and began walking.

       Only hours later a group of twenty men gathered around the place where the Giant had slept. Each of them were armed with spears, a short sword, a dagger, and several other miscellaneous weapons. "He left early this morning," their captain said. "At our current pace, we should overtake him by this evening." He jogged to the top of a small crest and spoke to a black robed woman. "He's not far. It's only a matter of hours before we find him." And then his concern showed. "But what will we do after we find him? You know as well as I the tales of the Giant, how he can stand against armies, and...." He was silenced by a raised finger. "Which way is he headed?" she said in a calm and collected voice. The man paused briefly, partly because he feared her, and partly because of being put off. "Th- that way. East," he said, pointing. The woman flashed a smile. "Then let us be on our way." The man hastily bowed and descended to inform the other men. The woman watched as the small group of men began marching, following the Giant's path. She smiled again as she and two other women, in gray robes, began walking after them. She whispered to herself as she descended the hill. "I have you now, Giant. Your new found freedom will not last long." The wind began to blow, bringing with it a chill to equal her ice cold heart.