Broken Glass

Madria stood at the edge of the clump of trees, waiting for what the giant would do next. She was certain that she could not escape. Though the giant would be wearied from running earlier, while also carrying her, she was knew he could still run her down before she could take even ten steps. No, the most she could do was delay the giant by refusing to answer him as long as she could, allowing Janet and the others time to find her before the giant killed her. And she was quite certain he would.

As she thought back over the moments after she'd been placed on the boulder, she realized that she hadn't really been in danger before. The giant hadn't acted aggressively toward her, and in retrospect, seemed oddly hesitant. But now that the giant had seen the mark, she felt truly threatened by him. An air of barely suppressed anger had come about him, and despite the controlled tone of his voice, she knew that his anger might burst out at any moment.

A stiff prod from the giant brought her back to her current situation.

"The small tree ahead and to your left," he said, pointing. "Move."

Though she had been telling herself to delay as much as possible, her feet seemed to carry her forward of their own accord, fear overpowering her determination. The feeling of dread within her began to intensify, knowing that the giant meant to torture her and then kill her there.

 How can I escape the path of the wyvern? He will certainly kill me. The only tool I have is magic, and I've scarcely learned its simplest uses, aside from searching with it. What am I to do?

The tree was now only a few paces away. She had only seconds left if she was to act, however desperate it may be. But she could not allow herself simply accept death. With great effort, she managed to push down her fears, and planted her leading foot to lunge forward with her next step.

Before she could burst into a run a large hand latched onto her shoulder, fixing her in place as firmly as the trees around her were rooted to the ground. No! she cried within her mind. I was going to run! I was going to get away! No! She tried to squirm her way free, twisting and jerking against his hold, but remained in the giant's grip. Her determination to escape burned within her chest, spurring her to continue her struggle, even if it was futile.

The giant pressed harder on her shoulder, forcing her onto her knees, and then pinned her legs down with one of his large feet. His weight on her legs was painful, but she continued to struggle as he grabbed her arms. She was surprised to find that he was untying her hands again. But her hands were scarcely freed from the rope when she was suddenly pulled onto her feet and her arms seized again, this time behind her back. She was then half dragged, half carried, to the small tree where the giant forced her back against the tree and began to tie her arms around the back of the tree.

"No!" she began to cried out as tears filled her eyes. "No, please don't! Please don't kill me!"

"Be quiet," the giant replied calmly as he finished the knots. "You'll attract predators." He then produced another length of rope and began to fasten her feet to the base of the tree, hardly hindered by her resistance.

 Predators? she thought, Why should I care about what predators hear me if you will kill me anyways? And with that thought, she began to scream at the top of her lungs.

The giant cursed as he tried to cover her mouth, but she bit down hard on a finger, earning a harsh slap which stunned her and caused her vision to flash. Her cheek stung, and she could taste blood in her mouth. She stared up at the silhouetted face of the giant, trying to look as defiant as possible, even as her body trembled.