:Chapter Two: It all Started with an Orange

Chapter two

It all Started with an Orange

Tess

            “Tess dear would you mind grabbing the oranges from the car?” My grandmother asked me. I nodded and turned on my heel—heading back towards the parking lot. I dodged people as I manoeuvred my way through the crowd of people. It was a Sunday, and Sunday’s were always busy at the market. It was the day when everyone did their weekly shopping.

            I stepped onto the pavement and headed towards the back of the parking lot. “I’m not going to lie, this is a disappointment.” I looked over at the girl who had spoken. She was tall and tanned with long golden blonde hair and light blue eyes. She was holding onto a boy’s hand, they were obviously a couple.

            I looked at their car and snorted, there was no way they were from Milton Bay. No one had cars like that here. Most people have trucks or beaten down cars because of all the dirt roads. But this car was sleek and black—made for the city.

            I pushed the strange couple from my mind and continued to my blue truck at the back of the parking lot. It wasn’t actually mine, it was my brothers. But he let me borrow it on weekends. I was working double time at the market to save up for college. So far I had about two thousand dollars saved, and that was going to get me nowhere.

            I unlocked the car and picked the crate of oranges from the bed of the truck. They were heavy but I was able to manage. My grandmother made good money off of her oranges. She was the only person I knew who was able to grow them here because of the weather. But she had a large greenhouse and the magic touch.

            I tried my best to avoid hitting people with the crate but the market was so busy I ended up knocking over a few customers. I was almost at my grandmother’s stand when my foot buckled and I fell over, dropping the crate. I watched as orange balls rolled out of the crate and spread all over the ground.

            I scrambled to my feet ignoring my scrapped knees and went after the oranges. I thought I had collected just about every orange until a burst of orange caught my eye. With a heavy sigh I went over and picked the orange up. I looked up and saw an extremely handsome boy. And for some strange reason whenever I talk to cute boys I have the tendency to make a fool out of myself.

“I’m sorry that’s mine. I dropped the cart and they spilled everywhere. My grandmother is going to kill me—again I’m so sorry. And I should probably go back and go and yeah. I’m sorry—again!”

            The boy turned and looked at me with piercing eyes. He stared and seemed to take in every inch of my body. I could do nothing but stand and stare. Suddenly, a low growl seemed to come from his lips. Wait, he growled? My eyes widened as the thought registered in my brain. People can’t growl. The boy growled again, a low animalistic sound. I took an involuntary step back and this seemed to bother him.

            His green eyes darkened to black and he scooped me up into his arms. I wriggled and yelped but it was no use, his grip was like iron. He carried me with ease through the crowd, earning us strange looks. He brought us behind a stand and sat me down on his lap. It felt right. Well it did until he started to lick my face.

Noah

“What the hell is going on here?” Kate was standing there staring down at me. I seemed to come back to my senses when she spoke. I noticed that I had a girl in my lap and that I was licking her face moments before.

            The girl was paralyzed with fear and was staring at me with big brown eyes. Kate reached forward and grabbed her arm, lifting her off of me gently. As soon as the girl’s skin was no longer touching mine my wolf went wild.