:Chapter Four: Separation Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

Chapter four

Separation Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

Tess

            It had been exactly three hours since my strange encounter with Noah. And for some reason, there was a dull aching in my heart. It was almost painful. I sat with my face in my hands watching as the last of the day’s customers came and went.  

            “Tess dear, can you give me a hand with these?” My grandmother asked, pointing to a pile of empty crates. I got up with a heavy sigh and picked one of the crates up. A burning pain shot across my chest and I gasped aloud, dropping the crate.

            “Tess? You alright?” Adam asked.

            “Fine,” I hissed through clenched teeth. I picked up the crate again and lugged it over to the car. Another pain shot across my chest and I slumped against the vehicle. Panting, I managed to get the crate loaded into the bed of the truck.

            “Are you sure nothing’s wrong sis?” Adam asked me again.

            I gave him a wry smile, “Never better, it’s just been a weird day is all.” Adam’s forehead crinkled with obvious confusion.

            “What was with that guy anyways? Was he messing with you or...” More pain flared in my chest and I gasped again, clenching the front of my shirt. “Tess, maybe you should sit down.” Adam’s voice was steely as he sat me in the front seat of the car.

            I watched as he left to go and help my grandmother but I couldn’t help but wish he would stay here with me. The dull ache in my heart was now a burning flame. Was I having some sort of heart attack?

            I looked down at my hands which were shaking for some unknown reason. The only thought that was running through my mind was I’m too young to die. I was only seventeen for crying out loud! I hadn’t lived yet! I hadn’t gone to college, or got married. I had only just met Noah!

            Whoa, where did that come from? Why would I care about Noah? His name only fuelled the fire. And I discovered that now that I had thought about the strange boy, he was all I could think about.

            “Noah!” I screamed, knowing he couldn’t hear me. The sudden urge to have him beside me was overwhelming. “Noah!” I whimpered again, pressing my face into the seat.

            I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder, “Tessa?” My grandmother’s voice was frail but soothing. I turned to look at her with tear filled eyes.

            “It hurts.” I whimpered, my hand was over my chest but my grandmother paid no attention to that.

            “What hurts dear?” My grandmother pushed my bangs back from my face and stared into my eyes.

            I sniffled, “Noah!” I wailed.

            “Adam, it’s time to get your sister home. She’s not feeling well.” My grandmother slipped into the seat beside me and placed my head on her shoulder. I whimpered again and my grandmother patted my shoulder sympathetically.

            “What’s wrong with her?” Adam asked as we pulled onto our street.

            My grandmother ignored him as if he had never spoken. “Tessa, just hold on, everything will be okay dear, I promise.”