Chapter 2

xChapter 2x

Monday, January 13, 2003

3:13 P.M.

King's College School, front steps

After school lets out, I walk briskly through the light drizzle to get to the music shop. I've been working there for about a year now and the owner, Joe, has been paying me in guitar lessons. I'm not fantastic, since my primary instrument is the drums, but I at least think I'm improving.

I push open the glass door to the shop and and promptly greeted by the light ring of a bell hanging above the door. Joe is shuffling through a massive stack of CDs when he peaks up and shakes one of his dreads out of his face.

"Marcus Mumford!" he greets me but doesn't move away from what he is doing.

"The one and only," I say whilst walking behind the counter and tossing my school bag beneath the cash register. "What are you looking for?"

"Gettin' To It," Joe says, "Christian McBride."

"Man, what a great record," I say. We both share a love for jazz, especially Christian McBride. A couple days ago I saw the sign at Shephard's Bush Empire saying he was going to be playing there next week and I was excited to say the least. Well, I was excited until I found out the show was completely sold out.

"Here we go," he says while pulling out the album and walking it over to the CD player. But I do know that he never puts records on unless there is something important happening.

"What's the special occasion?" I ask, pushing myself up onto the counter.

"I have something for you," he says, a glint in his steel grey eyes as he makes a dash for the back storage room. When he comes back he has a small white envelope in-hand and a silly grin on his face.

I take the small envelope in my hands and immediately tear it open to reveal wht is inside. Once I see the contents I am completely astounded.

"Are you serious?" I ask. "Two tickets to Christian McBride? How did you get these?"

Joe shrugs. "I know a guy," he responds. Well, of course he "knows a guy". He know everyone in the bloody city.

"Are you sure you want to give these to me?" I ask, still completely shocked. My insides are doing flips and I know Ben is going to be ecstatic when I tell him the news.

"You've done more than enough for me and this shop, I don't think guitar lessons are enough to show my gratitude. You're a cool kid, Marcus."

"Thank you so so much!" I say, feeling like a kid in a candy store.

x x x x x x x x x x

Monday, January 13, 2003

6:56 P.M.

Mumford Household, Dining Room

"Absolutely not," Mum says, cutting me off mid sentence. She grabs her fork and continues eating her chicken, obviously done with the conversation. But I'm not.

"But this is the concert of a lifetime!" I plead. "I can't not go."

Mum finishes chewing her food and swallows before sighing. "It's on a school night. No is no. It's not going to kill you if you don't go."

I can't believe this. I finally get tickets to the concert I've only been to in dreams and now my own mother is tearing them down. "Dad-"

"You aren't going, Marcus. Sorry, maybe another time," my dad says. Well that plan sunk pretty quickly. But the problem is there probably won't be another time. Not one this great, at least.

I grab my fork and stab it into a piece of chicken and shove it into my mouth with a lot more force than necessary. I hear snickering to my left and turn my eyes to see my older brother, James, trying to stifle laughter. I give my best death glare and shovel more food into my mouth.

"Marcus," my father says sternly. I choose to ignore him and keep staring at my plate as the food disappears from it into my mouth.

"Marcus Oliver Johnstone Mumford. You look at me when I speak to you," Dad says with a deep voice. I raise my eyes ever so slightly and look him in the eye. He seems pretty red in the face which frightens me on the inside but I try not to show that on my face.

"What?" I ask, mouth full of food. Out of the corner of my eye I see my mum run her hand through her hair like she does when she's frustrated and shake her head disapprovingly.

"When you're finished you're going straight up to you room and you might want to start praying because you have been very disrespectful to both me and your mother," he says. Without word I shove the last piece of food into my mouth and walk my plate over to the sink. I let it clatter loudly in the bottom of the basin and storm up the stairs, taking the steps two at a time.

{A/N} So very very quick update (yay) and I think this is definitely a step up from the last chapter lol

Please comment, like, and stay awesome. I really appreciate all 3 ;)

Thanks for reading and I'll see you soon! LOVE YOU!

Holland Road | Mumford & Sons Fan FictionOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara