Thirteen(Edited)

XIII: Baby Steps

THE FOLLOWING NIGHT, Simone sat in her pretty home with the cornflower blue shutters watching Grey's Anatomy. She was half-way through a bottle of white wine when the doorbell rang, interrupting the drama unfolding on the screen. 

Simone stood, confusion painting her features as she walked over. The person outside had resorted to frantic knocking by the time she'd made it to the door. Simone turned the patio light on and swept the kitchen door blinds away to reveal Theodore pacing back and forth.

Quickly unlocking the door, she swung it open. "Dr. Thornton? What are you doing here so late at night?"

Hugging her ballet-pink satin robe around herself tighter, Simone blinked as he pushed past into the kitchen. He looked around for a second at her magazine-cover-worthy kitchen before locking his gaze down at her.

"There's been an emergency. A woman just went into labor five weeks early. It's too late to drive her to the nearest hospital. We have to hurry, Simone." Upon hearing her name, she jumped in surprise. She wasn't sure she's ever heard him call her my her name before. 

"Give me two minutes. I need my bag." Rushing past him and up the stairs, Simone ran into her bedroom and quickly shed her nightgown off. Slipping into a pair of charcoal trousers, nude flats, and a sheer plum long-sleeve blouse, she grabbed her medical bag and a light jacket.

Simone felt a little drowsy, most likely from the wine, but the adrenaline kept her focused. By the time she raced back down the stairs with her long blond hair done up in a tight ponytail, Simone felt about as aware as she could be tonight.

"Theodore, hurry. Let's go." He looked up at her standing in front of the staircase and held up the bottle of wine.

"Are you serious?" 

Simone pursed her lips, "How was I supposed to know I was going to deliver a child tonight?"

"You're a doctor. You're always supposed to be on call-duty." Theodore said following her outside.

Simone turned to quickly lock the door, throwing over her shoulder, "It was just a little wine. It's not like I was downing tequila shots or anything."  

"Whatever. Let's hurry. Her husband called again, the contractions are closer."

Throwing her bag into his pickup truck, Simone was beginning to contemplate a plan to hop inside when she felt his hands on her waist. He lunged her up like she weighed nothing, and after slamming the door, he walked around to the driver's seat.

It was quiet for a moment before Simone spoke. "Thank you for your help, Theodore."

"Um yeah." He started the engine and we were off.

"Aren't you going to thank me also?" She asked with a barely-there smile.

He snorted, "For what?"

"For helping you make a house call, of course."

"I could've handle this by myself." Simone watched the dark town speed by as Simone considered his answer.

Turning to look at Theodore, she smiled again. "Yet here I am."

Theo ignored the woman sitting beside her, he ignored the smell of vanilla and lavender that filled the car.  "Focus Mercer, we're here."

Simone chuckled under her breath when he jumped out of the truck without another word. He truly was too proud to thank her. Theodore came around to her side and helped me out. "Thank you, Dr. Thornton."