Eight(Edited)

Edited ✓

VIII: These Shorts Were Made for Flaunting

THERE WAS A SPRING IN HER STEP as she walked into the practice. Simone felt good. Empowered, giddy even. She felt energized and in control. Her good mood probably had a lot to do with the plan she'd concocted late last night, but Simone refused to accredit her zen vibes on sticking it to Theodore Thornton.

"Good morning, Rosie." Simone said as she removed her coat and approached the front desk.

Rosie took in Simone's outfit and gave her a deadpan expression. "Aren't you freezing in that?"

Simone hid her smile and shook her head. Theo had had quite a lot to say about her clothes yesterday, and she couldn't wait to see what he thought of her choice today. Sure, Simone had decided on a gingham blouse to complement a pair of high-waisted formal shorts and brown suede heels knowing it would bother him. But she didn't do it just to spite him. She had a point to make, one against sexism in the workplace.

And these itty-bitty shorts were just her weapon of choice.

"I wore long-sleeves, I should be just fine." Rosie looked like she wanted to roll her eyes, and Simone could practically fathom what the girl's snappy retort would be. But to Simone's surprise, Rosie bit her tongue instead.

"How many appointments do we have today?"

"Not as many as yesterday, but still more than usual. We're also expecting tons of drop-ins." Simone nodded and extended her hand for the schedule.

"Hmm looks like we're booked all morning. Let me go see how Theodore would like to divide this." Rosie looked like she wanted to protest but said nothing, the only sound being the tip tap of Simone's suede pumps as she walked away.

She knocked once before opening the door. "Good morning Dr. Thornton."

He didn't look up from his files. "What do you want?"

Theodore was in a foul mood. Not even an hour after he'd dropped off his angry son, Theo got a call from the school nurse. Apparently Nathan had gone home sick.

He didn't even bother to look up from his computer as the princess—like always—barged into his office.

"I just wanted to discuss today's scheduled appointments." Theo heard her say. "Take a look and see if there are patients you'd like to see personally."

"Pick out all the teenage boys and leave them to me." Fine, so he knew he was being a bit unreasonable. The incident with the Sawyer boy could have happened to everyone. Hell, it had even happened to Theo plenty of times when he was doing his residency at the University of Virginia Children's Hospital. The single moms there were relentless.

And yet Theo can't understand why he couldn't just let it go. Something about the whole thing had bothered him. A lot.

Theo heard the click clack of those goddamn heels a second before he felt the weight of a few papers fall onto his keyboard.

"I am trying to be a professional here. It would be beneficial for the both of us if you also did the same."

Theo looked up then, his eyes taking in the defiance in her eyes before traveling down to her exposed legs. And holy hell was that a great pair of legs that went on for miles and miles until they finally reached her annoying ass shoes.

Damn.

He couldn't deny it anymore. No matter what the girl wore, whether she was covered from head to toe or in that scrap of fabric she called shorts....Theo was attracted to her.

Theo didn't know what pissed him off more: being attracted to his coworker (and his grandfather's replacement) or being attracted to a high-maintenance city girl cut from the same cloth as Savannah. Both had him jumping to his feet and fixing a glare on his face that hopefully disguised the glint of appreciation for her rocking body he knew was in his eyes.

"Are you serious?"

He stood and walked forward. He almost let out a chuckle when she stepped back the closer he got. But Theo didn't stop there. He pushed and pushed, wanting to make her as uncomfortable as he was and before either of them knew it he had her pinned against the examination table.

"What is it?"

Theodore gave Simone an unamused look, "I thought we agreed you'd start wearing respectable clothing."

"You informed me of your views on my attire, but I am my own person. We did not agree on anything."

Simone could sense the barely repressed anger if the tension in his jaw was any indication. He took one more step, and suddenly all the air was sucked out of her lungs. He was way too close for comfort, and Simone found herself anxious from his proximity.

"You are really testing my patience here, Mercer."

Simone raised an eyebrow, "I thought we were calling each other doctor, isn't that correct Dr. Thornton."

Theodore closed his eyes, most likely in frustration, and opened them in a second with a glare. He leaned forward, and Simone leaned back, his hands gripping the leather of the cot behind her. "I don't know how city clinics do this, but here we often don't disrespect our superiors. And I, darlin', am your superior."

Simone was tongue-tied, completely and utterly speechless. All she could focus on was his musky scent and his warmth as he all but pressed himself against her. Simone could feel her stupid heart racing and for one wild moment she thought she saw his eyes flicker down to her mouth.

What would his lips feel like?

What would he taste like?

Lord help her, but she couldn't help but imagine it. Would she even let him? What would she do if he were to grab her by the waist, pull her up on the cot, and kiss any snappy retorts away?

Simone tried to swallow, but her mouth felt so dry. She needed to focus! She'd worn these shorts to make a statement, not to catch Theodore Thornton's attention for a completely other reason. Hadn't she?

"I don't know how small town clinics do this," She began in a voice far more confident than she actually felt, "But where I come from doctors don't usually treat their female colleagues in sexist, condescending ways."

It was almost as if Simone had broken a trance they were both under. Theodore stepped back and Simone took a deep breath. Her skin felt hot and her legs shaky...she had never experienced this type of anxiety before. Simone didn't know if she'd rather slap him or kiss him, but either way both of those reactions shocked her.

"So uhh I'll take the first patient and we'll alternate."

Simone pushed off the cot and walked over to get the schedule. "Sure. That sounds fair."

Hugging the manila folder to her chest, Simone walked out of his office without another word.

A/N: GUUUUYS MY BEST FRIEND IN THE ENTIRE WORLD IS GONE. She's currently set up in her dorm room and I'm over here trying not to cry. We've been friends since we were little kids :( and I already miss her. If you guys have had a friend for a really long time, comment how many years you've been partners in crime! I'd love to hear stories and memories to dull my sadness!!!!