Chapter 3 - Rogue

CHAPTER 3 - ROGUE

Waller watched as Adelphia opened her mouth then closed it again without saying anything. There was nothing she could say that would make him change his mind. He could never forgive her even if this hurt his own wolf. In a way he was glad that he was her mate, if it were someone from another pack they might have taken her as their mate, treasured and protected her. She didn’t deserve that. She deserved to suffer.

 Adelphia didn’t know what to say, what to do. She was in pain. After Waller’s rejection her wolf started howling, her heart was breaking. Her skin suddenly felt too tight, she was hot and then she heard a loud CRACK. Her bones were breaking, dislocating and changing. She was changing. Waller noticed and quickly left the room. The presence of another wolf during the first change would have soothed her wolf, especially the presence of her mate but she was alone. The pain was unbearable. Unlike anything she had felt before. She wrapped her arms around her torso and opened her mouth to scream. Then shut it tight again. She couldn’t allow herself to scream. She had to stay strong, show them that she wasn’t weak, act like it didn’t matter that her mate just left her.

The pain ebbed and Adelphia noticed that she had completely changed. Instead of hands she had four small white paws. She walked around testing the strength of her legs. She used all her senses to check the whereabouts of the pack members but it was difficult as her mate’s scent kept invading her mind. Most were in the house but several others were outside. She couldn’t wait any longer though, now was her one and only chance if she didn’t make it then she would never be free. She padded over to the door going as quietly as possible turned and charged at the window. CRASH. The glass broke and some pieces dug into her skin but she ignored them as she fell to the ground.

 The others noticed the noise and went to look for Waller to ask about it. They couldn’t disrespect the soon to be alpha by entering his room without his permission. While they were distracted Adelphia made a run for it. Her claws dug into the dry grass as she entered the forest. The speed was exhilarating. The noise of the forest attracted her attention as she noticed the animals surrounding her. Her wolf wanted to hunt and so did she. It took all she had to focus her attention away from hunting. She looked around, smelled the air and listened carefully trying to pick up on the smallest hint of a pursuit. There was nothing. She continued to run not noticing the time go by until she reached the end of the forest.

She slowed down and looked curiously around her. All she had ever seen was the pack house and the forest surrounding it but here was a new sight for her. Mountains. So many of them surrounding her it was overwhelming. She sat down on her hind legs and watched the sight before her resting while she took in every detail.

She was tired, while she did not know how long she ran she knew that it must have been hours as the sun has set. It was night. The moon was covered by grey clouds and only the occasional star shone through. With her enhanced sight she could see everything clearly but she was still on edge. Something didn’t feel right. It made her tense. She sniffed the air. Nothing. Everything was as it should be but then why was her fur standing and her wolf growling like one surrounded by enemies? It didn’t make sense. She should be able to relax now. She was finally free. Maybe that was it. She was so used to being near people that hurt her that their absence was unsettling her.

 No. There was someone there.A wolf.

She sniffed the air very carefully doing her best to not draw attention from the other wolf. Rogue. She never saw a rogue before. She wondered if the rogue would let her go as she was a rogue herself. Then again rogues were known to attack each other. She stood and slowly started moving keeping the rogue in sight. The rogue followed but made no move to attack, Adelphia found this strange but kept moving. There was nothing she could do. After running for so long she was tired and she left the pack house without food so she was also hungry, she was not trained to fight, if it came to it she would have no chance of winning.

 She started running hoping the other rogue would give up and leave her be. It didn’t. The rogue gave chase and caught up. He growled signalling her to stop. She did. She may not stand a chance in a fair fight but no one said that the fight had to be fair. She faced the wolf several times larger than her. His fur a mixture of dark brown and grey. He wasn’t covered in mud as she expected, most rogues are unable to keep clean. They live in the wild a place filled with mud and dirt, it was only natural that they’d get dirty but this one seemed to have a place where he could clean himself up.

 Adelphia lay down on the ground as a sign of submission and waited for the rogue to come closer. The rogue must have thought she gave up as he walked towards her without a proper stance of defence. He walked leisurely as if he had all the time in the world. When he got close to her he lowered his head towards hers intending to bite her but he didn’t expect Adelphia to move her own head to his neck. Before he had time to react Adelphia clamped her teeth down on his throat and rolled pushing the rogue to the ground. The rogue gave a small whimper then snarled, using his front paw he took a swipe at her and caught her in the eye. She didn’t let go. She knew that if she did then she would lose, instead she clamped down harder on his throat and let the blood trickle out from her mouth. It was a strange feeling that overwhelmed her as she saw the rogue cease his struggling and the light leaving his eyes. He lost a lot of blood and she thought that perhaps she bit an artery. When his eyes closed and his breathing turned shallow she finally let him go and moved away from him.

 She was preparing to run when she noticed that she was surrounded.     

***comment & vote***