Chapter 1- Adelphia

CHAPTER 1 - ADELPHIA

Opening her eyes Adelphia stared at the dark silhouette of her room. It was more like a cupboard. There was no furniture in her tiny make shift room. Not like it would have fit in, in the first place. No window either, which left the room stuffy and hard to breath in during the night as she slept. The only place air could come in from was the small keyhole of her door. Her parents not allowing her to open the door at night meant that she had to get used to the lack of air in her room as second by second she used up the precious oxygen turning it into useless carbon dioxide. During the day she was allowed to leave her door slightly ajar to let some air in but what got in wasn’t a lot. Which almost made her glad that she spent very little time in the room, just the four hours she was permitted to use for much needed sleep. And her four hours were up. She didn’t need an alarm clock to tell her that, her parents wouldn’t have given her one even if she asked. How did she know this? Because she made the stupid mistake of asking for one when she was six.             

                                                        She was moved to her little cupboard at the age of six and that year had been the worst. Stripped of all the luxuries she got and everything she had; her toys, her proper room, her friends, her brother and her parents’ love. What she got in return was hell on earth. At the tender age of six her training as the pack’s slave began. She was expected to wake up at three every morning so that Belinda, the pack’s maid could teach her. Of course being only six and with no watch or clock with her she couldn’t tell when it was time to get up. Naturally she over slept and woke to her mother screaming at her. Before she could say anything in her defence her mother slapped her so hard it left an imprint of her hand on her face. Adelphia gave a startled cry at the sudden pain but her mother just slapped her other cheek. She fell to her knees and begged her mother to forgive her, that she would try harder but the same thing happened the next day and the next until finally Adelphia had had enough. She snapped and spoke up saying that if she only had an alarm clock she would be able to wake up on time. The fury on her mother’s face told her that she said something she should not have. That day her mother attacked her with more savagery then she thought possible. She was left in her cupboard without food, unable to even get up. The next day she was black and blue all over, unfortunately that didn’t stop her mother’s rage at her inability to get up. From that day on her mother came to her room at three every morning to beat her for not being awake. It wasn’t long before she learned to wake up on time.

 Almost ten years later and here she was. Looking over at the corner where her clothes lay folded in a small pile on the floor. She got up off the hard wood floor stretching as she woke up from her dreamless sleep. She leaned over to the corner and picked up some clothes putting it on in the darkness. There was no light in her room. Her parents thought it a waste of electricity for her to have one. She didn’t need one any more anyways. Years spent in her dark little cupboard meant her eyes adapted to the darkness and she could see better than most wolves thanks to that and it wasn’t like what she chose to wear mattered. She only had a handful of clothes so that she could hide her 'disgusting body' according to her mother. Not that she could disagree. Her body looked sickly white and thin as she was malnourished and kept from going outside. The scars and bruises didn’t help either.

                                            Leaving patches of blue from recent attacks to her body and yellow from the not so recent ones. She wasn’t sixteen yet so her wolf was not able to heal her. A few more days she thought to herself. Just two more days and I will be strong enough to leave. I can hold on until then. Silently she crept out of the room making sure that she wouldn’t wake anyone up. She walked around the pack house picking up the laundry the other members wanted her to do. Laundry that needed to be done was left outside their doors so that she could collect it without disturbing the others’ sleep. There were around a hundred members which equalled to a hundred doors meaning she needed to lean down a hundred times to pick the clothes off of the floor. It wasn’t as hard as the first year she had to do it but it was still time consuming. After she was done collecting the dirty clothes she went down to the basement filling up the washing machines and starting them. She finished by 4:30. An hour and a half was how long it took to gather the laundry, separate it according to colour and to fill all three washing machines. She now had two and a half hours to go to the kitchen, make the pack’s breakfast and set the table. She was done by seven barely breaking a sweat. She was used to the heat of the kitchen by now so it didn’t bother her. The elder pack members came down first. They sat down with the alpha and his mate at the top of the table and her parents sitting on their right the place reserved for the beta of the pack. That was her father.  

    ***Comment and Vote***