Chapter 6

Isaac took a cleansing breath before giving a confident rap to the cherry red front door of Kiya's home. Before he had time to drop his balled up fist, she was already jerking the door open and letting out an irritated huff in lieu of a greeting. Her lightening quick response immediately informed him that she was on edge. Isaac checked the face his Breitling watch and was certain that his late arrival was the reason her beautiful mouth was turned down at the corners. The full force of Kiya's seething glare was almost enough to distract Isaac from how sensational she looked decked out in a curve-hugging dress and black designer heels; but only momentarily. Isaac couldn't recall the last time he'd seen Kiya in anything other than her casual clothes and a fresh makeup-free face.

Her glamorous appearance had his dark eyes glued to her; his deliberate gaze was assessing every detail of her. His tongue slipped out of his mouth to slowly pull his bottom lip behind his teeth. Kiya's curls had been pressed out and her hair was now a curtain of black silk dancing across her shoulders. Her makeup was subtle, save for the shimmering color sweeping her eyelids and the gloss beckoning him to test the softness of her lips for himself. The green dress she'd chosen was an off-shoulder number that left her graceful neck and the swell of her full bosom on display. The fabric clung enticingly to her soft curves and taut muscles and stopped mid-calf.

She spared only one icy glance in his direction accompanied by a slight nod of her head as the only indication that she was allowing him passage into the house, and not just staring straight through some ghostly apparition at her front door.

"You're late," Kiya's tone was flatter than a glass of week-old soda when she finally addressed Isaac. She turned her back without giving Isaac the opportunity to respond. Her designer heels were already engaged in a rhythmic clicking as they carried her across the living room when Isaac crossed the threshold and closed the door behind him. A slit in the back of her dress revealed flashes of golden skin with every step. The view of her shapely backside and toned legs gave her front view some serious competition.

"I apologize, Kiya. My meeting ran longer than I expected," Isaac explained feebly once he gained control of his vocal chords. He hadn't spoken with her at any length since they slept together. Each night when Isaac called to talk with their son, Kiya dodged his attempts at conversation. Isaac hoped that being in the same room would weaken her resolve, but she seemed determined to snub him, and the time crunch did little to aid him in the situation.

"Gavin! Your dad is finally here!" Kiya raised her voice loud enough for her son to hear her in his bedroom. Isaac didn't miss her emphasis on the word "finally" but he didn't push the issue. He intended to pick up Gavin nearly an hour earlier, but an unexpected interruption had kept him from leaving Downtown Los Angeles. His perpetual lateness was always a bone of contention for them, and even though he did have a legitimate reason for his tardiness, Kiya didn't seem receptive to hearing it.

"Can we talk Ky?" Isaac asked as softly as he could muster. No matter how badly he wanted to carry Kiya to her bedroom and kiss away her anger like he used to, he knew that was not an option. He needed peace and he needed to be diplomatic for the sake of their child.

Kiya read the time displayed on her slim gold watch and let out an irritated sigh, "Can it wait? I have a car coming to get me for dinner any minute now."

"You're wearing that to your business dinner?" Isaac's face grew stormy with a mix of unjustifiable jealousy and unadulterated desire. No matter how many supermodels and actresses that Isaac was rumored to be dating, Kiya was still the prettiest girl he ever laid eyes on and the thought of her out with another man turned his stomach sour.