Chapter One

Mia got up from the hard surface that she had been sleeping on. She rubbed out the dirt from her back. The beautiful world now mainly existed in the books. She had been reading a book from the 21st century.

Everything was so cool during that time, she thought. After all they had enough food, water, people to love and things to have fun with. In the book she was reading, the hero was a billionaire who had everything he needed but still he was lonely. She wondered how someone could have so much and yet be depressed.

There was a part in the book where the the main character anticipated about how the future would turn out to be. He said that flying cars would be there, super huge highways, robots helping everyone with every other chore and a list of other things he predicted, he said these things would make the world better.

The truth is most of them turned out to be true. Mia knew that during the middle of the 22nd century, scientists and everyone became mad about making new things.

Flying cars that was so yesterday, robots were there of course, they were the now soldiers but one ultimate thing could never be created and that was artificial intelligence. Everything was alive. Population increased like crazy. But people came up with an idea for that too.

Buildings could be changed from the house to a working place to any other type of building. As much of this invention was needed. It also meant that people would go out less and less.

People during that time knew that there had to be more nature for them to survive and so they did their best to plant trees. Humans were always selfish that way. After all they only wanted their race to survive but if they thought about all the living beings, everything would last longer.

But there was no point in thinking about the past, she blinked her thoughts away. The point was everything was slowly coming to an end, all species going one by one, not being able to withstand the conditions, many humans too had already died.

This thought, brought tears to Mia's eyes. She wished at least her friend, Mason would be alive, she always liked him but she couldn't even tell him that. There were about three thousand people in the building of the scientists' headquarters they were mainly the families of all the scientists.

Everyone Mia saw were working day and night on finding a new planet to live on. Everything has a flip side to it, there was a religious group who didn't belive in another planet, Mia kind of agreed to them. They believed that no matter what, once we get out of Earth, we would die sooner or later.

They lived hunting and trying to fix the world, everything about the world felt like it was going back to square one where people lived a nomadic life. Mia had no choice but to follow the rules thrust upon her. Some things don't change across centuries too. She did her best to surf and research the numerous planets.

Books where the only thing that kept her alive, the only thing that made her forget about all the people she lost in the recent times. She was glad at least her dad had survived, they didn't know if her Mom survived. She knew that there was a huge possibility that she didn't but she wouldn't accept it.

Their plan was to first find a planet, make necessary preparations and then search for survivors. Some of them used their time to build a space vehicle to transport everyone to the other world.

It was morning, some people never slept through the night. It was time to go out of the headquarters and search for food. Mia enjoyed this task the most, she went with the few others assigned to do this task.

"Mia, I hope we find something good today," Dee, one of kids who lived with her said.

"I agree. I'm bored of eating the food that we get," Mia replied. They would mostly get some food that was just enough to stay alive. Everyone looked forward to find something to eat that stimulated their taste buds and that would switch on happiness in their head.