8. Fear

Everyone heard our screams and we were quickly surrounded. Everyone stared at the body. Some women began to scream. A few guards went to the body and flipped it.

I sighed, it wasn't Ethan. He was just a noble dressed similar to him.

I looked at Katrina, who was in shock. She was trembling. Some guards came to take her away from here.

Now people began to panic, they knew this was no accident.
They were screaming and started running.

I was still in shock. I couldn't move. I heard someone call my name.

"Jessica, we have to go!" He took my hand. It was Dante. I snapped back into reality and looked at him.

"Alright" I said and we began running. I kept bumping into people. We finally reached the ballroom, it seemed even more crowded than before, now that everyone was fighting to get out.

I stood there grasping Dante's hand. I looked around to see if I could find Ethan. I still couldn't find him. The room was so crowded, we had to wait in the back to see if we could go.

I felt another hand touch me, when I looked back I saw Ethan.

"Ethan, what's wrong?" I said, looking at him.

"We're about to find out" He said as he led me to the top of the stairs. Dante followed. We could see everything clearly now. The nobles were struggling to open the door.

"I can't open the door!!" One screamed.

"We're locked in!" Screamed another.

Now everyone started screaming.

"We're going to die! I don't want to die!"

I was terrified. What's going to happen to us?

"Everybody listen up!" I heard a guard yell.

Everyone turned to look at the guard, who stood at the balcony overlooking the whole ballroom.

"We are handling everything. The princess is safe, but no one is leaving this ballroom until we find out who the murderer is." He said.

"You can't do that!!" Yelled on of the nobles.

"Now we're definitely going to die!" Screamed another.

I gripped Ethan's hand tighter.

He looked at me.

I looked at the grandfather clock that was behind the guard.

11: 00 pm

It's been four hours since I came to this party with Ethan, and now...there's a good chance we won't leave this place..

"What about us going to our homes?!" Yelled another.

"Yeah, are we going to be here all night?!"

"If by midnight we don't find the murderer, we'll assign you into pairs and give each of you a room" Said the guards.

Now people really panicked.

"What if we get assigned with the murderer?!" Screamed a woman.

I looked at Ethan and Dante.

Dante looked at the guard.

"Gerald, are you guys mad?! You're willing to let the murderer sleep in the castle?!" He yelled at the guard.

"No other choice, we have orders from the king." He said.

"The king?!" Said Ethan.