Extracted

"He woke her then, trembling and obedient, she ate that burning heart out of his hand. Weeping, I saw him then depart from me. Could he daily feel a stab of hunger for her? Find nourishment in the very sight of her? I think so. But would she see through the bars of his plight, and ache for him?"
-Dante Alighieri {Dante's Inferno}
*****

Rey's eyes focused on the small sliver of exposed skin, where the baby-fine hairs sprung free of the trappings that tied back his locks. She imagined the raven black strands were as soft and delicate as they looked. The notion of anything about the man before her being delicate filled her stomach with discomfort and caused her nose to wrinkle in distaste. Yet—she could not ignore the way her fingers tingled with the desire to touch it's ebony softness.

The interior had changed from mechanic and sterile to organic; its age echoing off the walls in a hum that left the room uncomfortably off. Ren's pace slowed to a halt before two massively engraved doors. His hand, lingered on the worn bronze levers, a moment too long–mind caught in hidden hesitation before forcefully pushing the doors open.

Rey took in a deep breath and followed her mentor, eyes skimming over everything but the scarred creature seated on the cathedra before her. Leia knelt, almost ceremoniously to the right of the throne, body invisibly weighted in submission. The woman appeared intact, if not a little battered around the edges.

A whisper tapped at her mind's door, drawing her eyes away from the woman to the slate floor before her. Rey felt the heaviness of the creature's gaze on her shoulders, testing her resilience. Something deep inside told her not to look; not to answer.

Stone.

She threw up her walls.

I am stone.

"Master Skywalker... I am honored by your presence. I must admit my disappointment in the circumstances for which you have chosen to visit—I am nevertheless pleased to have you here in my home." The creature leaned forward, a wicked smile pulled his thin lips apart–revealing finely pointed canines. Rey silenced her distaste as he leaned far enough into the light. Most-if not all, of the left side of his face was horrifically scarred, the majority of his left cheek missing entirely. An unforgiving scar ran along the cranium, the flesh tight and leathery, gave the impression that its origin was almost as ancient as the being whom it belonged. His piercing blue eyes shifted to Rey, a flicker of pleasure lighting their sinister depths.

"I see you've acquired another apprentice." Rey's body went rigid under his scrutiny. "Her powers are... impressive...startling advance for someone with such limited training." He raised himself up and crept down from his platform. Movements, that of a venomous reptilian, coiled and rippled as silent feet drew near.

Rey grounded herself, locking her eyes forward as he made his approach.

Luke seemed unperturbed by Snoke; his disposition characteristically calm. He looked to his sister, sending waves of reassurance to her. "It will be alright."

Her eyes shadowed, mouth tightened; all expression leaving her face. "You shouldn't have come, Luke."

He merely smiled and gave a slight nod of respect to Snoke as he came face to face with the dark force that corrupted his nephew. "She has proven to be an eager learner,' his gaze flickered over to Ben–standing to Rey's left, silently observing; seemingly without any intent of hostility. 'But you know well, what I have come for."