Bullet

Maya POV

My life was never easy. A bunch of ups and downs was basically the story. Mostly downs. It was a rare occasion for me to have something positive in life. Lucas Friar was one of them.

I met him on the subway. Went to school with him. My best friend liked him for the longest time. I made fun of him, called him names, broke him down. And when he could've gotten hurt–but didn't–I was the one broken down. He knew how I felt.

From middle school to high school, I thought about him everyday. Thought about what it would be like to hug him, have him say sweet things. Riley still liked him, and he liked us both in different ways.

Then one day, he decided to take us both out on a date. Just the three of us. It was more like process of elimination. Trial and error. He chose who he wanted at the very end.

He took us to the circus. Clowns, laughs, popcorn, candy. All the good stuff. He spent equal time with us and he made sure he did. We all had a great time. Riley hugged him with such ease after. And when we went to say goodbye, we just looked at each other. It was a long gaze into my eyes and into his. And then he left.

The first day of the week, he chose Riley. I saw it coming. Mainly downs. I thought that night couldn't get any worse. Until Riles and I were having a conversation. Same stuff. At the bay window, talking about our feelings. I told her I was mad, upset. But I loved her. And she knew that.

With one last hug, it was hard to believe that was the last time I would ever see her.

Someone broke into the Matthews house that night. Riley was up, grabbing a snack, he smashed the door open, shooting Riley. The doorman had already called the police, and their neighbors had already contained him before he could hurt someone else.

Auggie was the first to see her. Seeing your older sister lying there, dying, is something someone so young shouldn't have seen.

He told me he was the last person she talked to. The last person she saw with her living eyes.

"Take care of Maya, Auggie. She deserves all the love in the world. Pea,...... Peaches." He quoted.

Her last words. Her last word.

Peaches.

***

I was 15. Freshman in high school. Attending the funeral was really hard. Lucas showed, Farkle, Zay, Josh. I was the last to arrive. My best friend died and I wasn't there to protect her.

It's been 11 years and I'm 25 now. I'm one of the best cops in New York. I wanted to protect this city with my life. Dying has always been a fear of mine. But if I can prevent someone from dying to early, that fear leaves.

"Maya?" I heard someone call.

Lucas was standing in the doorway. Riley's death made it harder for Lucas and I to like each other. We became best friends. That drew Farkle and I closer. When we went on our first date, Lucas ruined it. By declaring he wanted to be with me. And we've been together ever since. It was a year after Riley died.

I moved in with him about a year ago and I could feel tension in our bedroom. I was putting on my bullet proof vest as he walked behind me.

"I love you." He told me.

Me being a cop terrified him. He didn't want to lose another person he cared about. Especially if I was in action, guns and potential shooting action.

"I know. I have strong regards for you too Lucas." I said, wrapping my arms around him.

He held me tight, and I returned the action. Dear God, please don't take me away from him. Please don't take him away from me. I need him.