Prologue

"Sandra! Get the camera!" The little girl said full of excitement. Sandra looked over her shoulder, away from her TV show. "What is it?" "Just come on!" Clementine said. Sandra chuckled to herself and stood up. She took out her phone and opened the camera app. Just as she was about to exit, the phone began ringing.

"Hello?" Sandra said. "Hey Sandra, this is Diana, we're still in Savannah." "Oh. I thought you said you were coming back today." "Ed had an incident with some crazy guy, he took a bite out of his arm." Sandra covered her mouth. "Oh my god, is he okay?" She asked. "Yeah, he's fine, but he's not feeling well enough to drive back tonight so we're staying an extra day." Sandra looked out at Clementine, who was expecting her parents that night. "How do I tell Clementine and Jake? They were expecting you tonight." She said. "Yeah, I know it's gonna be tough, but tell them that we just have to stay another day. Thanks so much for looking after the kids, and I promise we'll be back in time before your spring break!" Diana said as she chuckled.

Sandra smiled. "Yeah, see ya later." She said and hung up. "Hurry up Sandra!" Clementine said with a smile on her face. "Hold your horses Clem!" Sandra said as Clementine took off.

The warm air hit Sandra as she stepped outside. "Do you see it?" Clementine said as she pointed at her tree house. "Uhhh, what is it?" Sandra questioned, squinting to see what Clementine pointed at. "Let's record it! I wanna show my parents." Clementine said. Sandra pointed her phone toward the tree house and hit record.

A raccoon appeared and scratched its ears. "Yep. Got it." Suddenly, the phone began ringing again. "Dammit." Sandra muttered and ran back inside and picked up the phone. "Hello?" "Hey Sandra, it's Diana again. I just wanted to speak to the kids." "Jake's out skateboarding, but Clem is here." "Sandra! It got away!" Clementine said with a frown. "What got away?" Diana asked Sandra. "Spoiler, it was a raccoon." "A raccoon?" "Yeah, she wanted me to get a video of it to show you guys." Clementine looked at Sandra.

"Your mom wants to talk to you." Sandra told her. Clementine reached for the phone and grabbed it. "Hi mom." "Hi hon, what was in your tree house?" "A baby raccoon." "Wow, that's cool. I bet he was cute." Clementine nodded. "Uh-huh." "You didn't touch him, did you?" "No. Okay, gotta go. Talk to you later." Sandra slightly glared at the girl. "Hey! That's not anyway to say bye to your mother." Sandra said. "Honey, you still there?" Diana asked, slightly hurt. "Yep. I'm here mom." Clementine said. "Listen sweetie, we won't be coming back tonight." Diana confessed. Clementine looked directly at the phone. "Why?" It took a few seconds for Diana to respond.

"Your father had an accident with somebody. Someone actually bit him. I'm with him at the ER." Clementine's dad's voice spoke through the phone. "Hey, don't get my hat dirty. I said you can barrow it, not have it." He warned. "Okay." Clementine said to her father. "You and your brother be nice to Sandra." Clementine smiled at Sandra. "And don't stay up too late." Her father said. Clementine shook her head. "I won't..." She said.

"We love you Clem." "Love ya, hon." Clementine's parents said to her. "I love you too. I miss you." "Don't worry sweetie, we'll be home in a few days." Clementine smiled. "Okay. See you soon." She said. "And give your brother a hug for me." Diana said. A huge grin formed on Clementine's face. "Okay. I will." She said and ended the call.

"See? That wasn't so bad, right?" Sandra said to her. Clementine shook her head. "C'mon. I'll getcha something to eat." Sandra said as she placed her hand on Clementine's back and lead her to the house.

This was the last time Clementine would speak to her parents... before The Walking Dead.