Chapter Six

After a long while, and everyone was clear out of the way, we drove to the Rapters' cage. It was dark out and we were all just sitting in the vehicle. I was getting tired, and my head kept drooping to the side every once in a while. I felt Gray move around beside me, and I snapped out of it and looked over at him just as he put his arm around my shoulders and pulled my head onto his shoulder.

"Just go to sleep Paige." He said quietly, and I wanted to protest but I knew it wasn't any good so I just closed my eyes and dozed off until I was completely asleep.

Some time later, I was awoken by my sister shaking my arm. I groaned slightly, then sat up and stretched a little. She went to go wake up Gray next, and he stirred a few times before opening his eyes and sighing while stretching as well. I noticed we were at the Rapters' cage, and I figured we were asleep at least a good half hour at least. While Owen was in the cage, talking to the Rapters, we got out of the car and went over to talk to him.

"Owen." Gray called for him, and Owen looked over at him. "Are they safe?"

Owen shook his head. "No, they aren't."

"What are their names?" Zach asked, and me and Exon, along with Owen, smiled slightly when we looked at the animals.

"Well, you got Charlie. There's Echo. Here's Delta. This one's called Blue." Owen said pointing at each Rapter as he said their names. He looked at Blue, then to us again. "She's the beta."

"Who's the alpha?" Gray asked, making Owen smirk.

"You're looking at him, kid." Owen said and I giggled slightly and covered my mouth with my hand.

"It could be Barry." Exon commented, making Owen send her a playful glare before rolling his eyes. "I'm only kidding Owen, sheesh." She laughed and everyone else did as well.

***

Claire tugged the doors to a big company truck open.

"See? Totally safe. Okay, come on, get in there." She says and and we all climbed in. Gray got in first, then he helped me up next, then Exon went, and then she helped Zach last. We headed to the back and took a seat on these metal containers. "If you need me, I'll be right up front. Just open that window." She pointed to the sliding window above us. "Okay, put your seatbelts on." We looked around, but found nothing. "Okay, just...hold hands." She said while shutting the doors.

It turned dark inside, but I could still see Gray hold out his hand for Zach, but Zach ignored it. I grabbed his other hand while Exon held his other. I guessed that Zach took a hold on Exon's other hand because I saw her face redeem slightly, even in the dark. After a while of just sitting there, we heard a Rapter's screech, making Exon and Gray jump.

"Nothing's getting in here, right?" Gray asked, looking at the doors.

"Hey," Zach started, getting his attention. "do you remember that ghost at the old house? Remember, the one in the garage? I protected you, right?"

"You made a battle axe out of a ruler and a paper plate." Gray recalled, looking at his brother.

"Yeah. See, nothing is gonna get you while I'm around, okay?" Zach said.

"But..you won't always be around.." Gray said, looking at the floor, I squeezed his hand, trying to cheer him up a little.

"Yeah, well... Hey," Zach said, making Gray look at him again. "we're brothers, okay?
We'll always be brothers and we'll always come back to one another. No matter what."

"No matter what?" Gray asked.

"No matter what." Zach confirmed. Exon suddenly pulled them into a hug, then pulled me in as well. After letting go, Zach reached up and slowly pulled the window open to see Claire. I sat up as well as Zach and Exon to see what was happening. We silently watched as Claire watched a tablet with the live video feed from all the Rapters and people. I spotted Owen easily, riding his motorcycle with the Rapters.

"Your boyfriends' a badass." Zach commented suddenly to Claire, which she smiled slightly at. We watched for a while with Claire, and just as things started getting interesting, she turned to us.

"You know what? No, no, no. You guys aren't watching this. Keep the window closed." Claire said as she shut the window on us. I heard Exon groan slightly before speaking.

"You know he is my family after all! If I want to see him kick some reptilian ass then I will!" She yelled to her, which made us all laugh a little. After a few more moments, we heard screaming and gunshots coming from ahead of us. Exon quickly opened the window again and looked at the screen, me and Gray following her and watching as well. I watched as people I didn't know got dragged by the Rapters, being eaten.

"Is everyone dead?" I asked and Claire gasped slightly and turned to look at me, and we patiently waited for her to answer.

"No, no, no. Everyone is fine." Claire said.

"Don't lie to her!" Exon snapped at her, surprising her slightly.

"She's scared. It's okay to lie when people are scared." She yelled back.

"I wanna go home..." Gray suddenly said, and Claire sighed.

"Sweetheart, you will, okay? I promise. Tomorrow you'll be home...and your mother will never let me see you again." She said to us all, the last part just to her nephews.

And then, there was a sudden bloody hand print on her window and she screamed.

(Please excuse weird typos.)