Desolation Row

Every Killjoy in sight turned to look at Fun Ghoul, who was immediately pointed with both arms to his left, where Manic Phantom held a radio above her head with both hands.

                “Hey there, tumbleweeds,” Dr. Death D’s voice came crackling out of the stereo, at full volume. Desi wondered why he hadn’t just come on out, but she figured maybe he was paranoid, or maybe he just spoke to the masses better through his radio station. “Glad to see there was such a turnout. To think that Jet Star and Party Poison doubted me, too. Just ‘cause I’m the old man sitting behind the mic doesn’t mean I don’t know what’s what.”

                “You proved ‘em wrong didn’t you, Killjoys?” cheers rippled through the crowd. “Now, tumbleweeds, it’s time for you all to head down to meet up with the rest of your friends. The boys will tell you all where you’ll be going. No need for S.C.A.R.E.C.R.O.W. to overhear. Now, keep your boots tied, your guns close, and die with your masks on if you have to!”

                Manic Phantom lowered the radio and headed around behind the shack, presumably to stash the radio in the trunk of the Trans Am. Jet Star peeled away from the shack and walked over to where Fun Ghoul was standing. Desi realized she hadn’t noticed him until he moved. Very ninja of him, and here I thought Kobra was the karate guy.

                “You all know how to get to L.A., right?” Jet Star asked; his voice was surprisingly deep, carrying easily in the attentive silence.

                Shasta stepped forward. “I do. What am I looking for?”

                “The Warehouse region, in the South end of the city. It’s right on the coastal side, and easy to hide in.” Jet Star informed everyone.

                Desi raised a hand, drawing the attention to her. “How do you know it’s not inhabited or under surveillance?” she asked.

                Jet Star snapped his head to look at her. If he hadn’t been wearing those dark sunglasses, she would have seen his eyes narrow. “We know it’s not inhabited because we’ve been scouting it for over a year. And with the surveillance, even if S.C.A.R.E.C.R.O.W. tapped into the city’s system, we’ve sprayed every lens we could find.”

                “What if you missed something?” she retorted.

                “We don’t miss,” Jet Star replied.”Aren’t you just a little paranoid?”

                “One, I used to live in Battery City, I know what S.C.A.R.E.C.R.O.W. can do. Two, I’ve had a long month. I got damn good at second-guessing every shadow.”

                “Point taken,” he conceded. Jet Star looked at the crowd again. “Anything else you need to know?”

                A random Killjoy shouted, “What’s the deal between Desi Destroya and Party Poison?”

                “That’s not my story to tell. Ask Party yourself.” With that Jet Star headed around behind the shack, and Fun Ghoul followed.

                “Well, I guess that’s my cue. We’ve got to head down to L.A., too.” Kobra Kid said. “Take care of yourself, Desi. I’ll see you soon.”

                As Kobra Kid walked away, Desi headed straight for Rasta, who was standing with Shasta near the bike. Shasta turned to look at her. “You wanna convoy with us? We’d all feel safer all around.” she asked.