Chapter Four - That Was Funny

School came and went, and by that, I mean it dragged, every single day.  Georgina had started coming out of her shell more, meaning she was going back to her usual self; gossiping and bragging as if her life depended on it.

Don’t even get me started on tutoring Logan. Talk about brain-dead!

Bustling over to my locker where Georgina was standing, I adjusted my thick, silver, bangle loosely on my wrist, wincing at the bruised skin underneath.

“Where have you been? I’ve been waited here for like, ages,”

I sighed, yanking open my locker and shoving everything inside. “Sorry, I needed to go to the bathroom,”

“Nice,” sneered Georgina.  “So, anyway, have you seen the new guy? He is so fucking sexy. Like, I literally feel like I need a change of underwear whenever I see him,”

“Georgina!” I cried, clapping my hands over my ears.

She laughed, flicking her hair over her shoulder. “Sorry, I forgot you were saving it for marriage,”

I wasn’t. Georgina knew that, too. But, she chose to say that whenever I cringed at the crude things she says. Now, I am not a prude. Believe me, but Georgina has the tendency to go to a whole new level when she discusses sex, or the male anatomy, or boys for that matter. Did it bother me? I’m used to it.

“For fuck sake,” I heard Georgina mutter from beside me.

“What?” I asked, swivelling around.

Coming down the hall, bellowing with laughter was Logan, and he was surrounded with his friends- and included in his little posse was Shannon- the very person that got Georgina beaten up. Well…

Logan and his friends came to a stop by my locker. I could see Georgina sending everyone glares from beside me, and it was returned by almost everyone; barring Logan.

Standing head on was me and Logan, not speaking, just awkwardly standing.

“Is there any reason why you’re all here?” Georgina snapped, shoving her nail file in her pocket. “Because this is all a little boring,”

Shannon stood forward, her hand placed on her hip. She looked from me to Georgina. “Logan needs to speak to your friend,”

“Why?”

“It’s none of your business…” Shannon trailed off. “But, your friend has been tutoring him lately,”

Sighing, I turned to Georgina, who had raised eyebrows and her mouth pulled into a thin line. “Is this true, Violet?!”

“I didn’t know Logan was friends with…” I meekly replied.

“Not that it should matter, Violet’s not tutoring Shannon, she’s tutoring me. So don’t look at her like that,” Logan snapped to Georgina. Without speaking, Georgina walked off down the hall and through the doors. Great.

Then, it was just me against half a dozen people who seemed to hate my best friend.

“I should…” I smiled awkwardly at Logan and high tailed it through the corridor after Georgina.

I never caught Georgina after that, in fact, the only activity I had seen or heard from her was her rather abusive Tweets. Not directed at me, but directed towards Shannon. For near on three hours, I sat at my desk just scrolling through comments and tweets from fellow classmates, and their shocked messages about what Georgina had put.

And then I saw the replies from Shannon.

“Fucking bitch. I bet she’s screwing everyone in her group of stuck up twats, seems like she’s taking after her sister, KMT.”

Shannon’s reply: “See you tomorrow.”

If that doesn’t start a fight on campus tomorrow, I don’t know what will.

Sleep came soon after and morning followed. It took me a total of thirty-five minutes to get ready in the morning, and those entire thirty-five minutes I was imagining all these different scenarios that might well happen today- all of them, with violent scenes of Georgina getting beaten to a pulp. Oh how I wished she never posted that message for the entire school to see.

Bounding down the stairs, I came to a stop at the kitchen doorway. Stood, leaning over the counter, was dad, reading the local headlines with a cup of coffee in his other hand.

“You’re back,”

Dad turned to face me; under his eyes were dark read circles- hollow.

“I earned a lot, sweetie! No work for a few weeks, a month tops,”

My father had a strange job of sorts, well, if I am honest- it’s rather unsettling.

He sells cannabis.

And he sells it well.

“The ball is rolling, all I’m waiting for is Matt to call, and then I’ll know its reached London and then we’re in business,” he said, laughing. “Just watch the money roll in,”

Dad made a “cheers” motion with his coffee, spilling it all over the work top. He cussed, pulling out a cloth to mop it up sloppily. Following his hands with my eyes, I rested upon a bottle of Whisky.

That wasn’t coffee in his mug, well, it wasn’t just coffee.

“You’re not happy,” It wasn’t a question.

I smiled “That’s great news dad, really,”

But he didn’t listen, instead he pushed passed me and stumbled into the living room, where he plonked himself down on the sofa and started flicking over the channels on the TV.

Okay then.

“I’m going, be back later,” I called over my shoulder, not gaining a response.

Isn’t it funny how when you’re enjoying something, time goes quick, yet, when you’re dreading something, the time just flies by?

“Hey, Violet!”

I slammed the car door and hoisted my back on my shoulder. Logan came over to me.

“About yesterday…”

“It’s okay. It’s not your fault, although knowing you’re friends with Shannon does make things a little awkward,”

“We’re cousins,”

“Oh right,” that makes things even worse. “So, did you need something?”

Logan rubbed the back of his neck with his hand. “Yeah, I err, was wondering if you could do me a favour, actually?”

“Sure,” I said as I started walking towards the entrance of the school. Logan followed.

“I was hoping you could not stick around after school today, just go straight home,”

I quirked an eyebrow, “Why?”

“Just please promise me you’ll go straight home…”

I took in the stressed look on his face. He looked as if he was seriously ill.

“Erm, sure, okay,”

“Thanks!” And off Logan went.

That was funny.