Two

Cascades of pebbles and loose boulders tumbled into the void beneath Frodo's suspended toes. His fingers bled as he dangled from the last handhold in sight. 

"Mr. Frodo!" 

Sam's voice echoed in time with Gollum's shout of "Baggins!"

"Sam, Gollum, help!" Frodo screeched. "Please, I'm slipping!"

One by one, his fingers began to slip off the rocky ledge. The week's journey had been hard enough, and his arms were too exhausted to hold him up.

Samwise looked around nervously. He knew he had to help. If he let Frodo fall, the Ring would go with him. Of course, he could always go pry the Ring from Frodo's cold, dead fingers.

"Sam!" Frodo sobbed. 

Just as the last finger slid from it's beloved lifeline, a pair of thin, slimy hands clamped onto Frodo's.

Gollum wrapped his fingers tightly around Frodo's wrists. "No, Baggins, you must climb! Yes, you must climb!"

Shaking out of his trance, Sam leaped forwards and latched onto one of Frodo's arms. Heaving and tugging, the two pulled Frodo up to safety. Immediately, he backed away.

"Why did you do that, Sam?" he cried accusingly, gasping for air.

Sam knew he'd have to make the story sound good. But what in Middle Earth could justify Sam's rolling Frodo closer, ever closer to the drop-off?

"Don't be sore, Mr. Frodo! I was--it's just that--" He paused. "It's just that you looked dreadfully uncomfortable using that rock as a pillow, so I was trying to put my jacket under your head."

Sam hoped it sounded convincing.

Frodo glared. "How do I know you weren't trying to steal my Ring?"

Trapped. He was trapped. There was nothing Sam could do, no excuse would come quick enough. 

"Mr. Frodo," he searched his head frantically for the right words to say.  "When have I ever tried to steal your Ring?"

Frodo hesitated, not able to think of a time. "I suppose, never." But that doesn't mean I trust you, he added silently. 

Pleased, Sam approached Frodo to help him up. "You know," he whispered, "I think that Gollum fellow is trying to steal the Ring."

When Frodo began to protest, Sam stopped him. "Haven't you seen the way he looks at it? And I've overheard him talking about it; calls it his Precious, he does."

Frodo felt torn. Each of his companions claimed the other wanted the Ring. Who could he trust?

He figured the safest plan was trusting both of them. It could prove to be fatal, but how else would he know who truly was on his side, and who was his enemy?

"Yes, I've heard." Frodo brushed off his clothes while he spoke, inspecting the rips from the rocks. "We don't have time to quarrel. We'll just have to trust each other and see what happens at Mount Doom."

Frodo marched forward, collecting his things before heading up the steep, ragged path. He kept his eyes on the path, pretending to not hear Sam's muttering.

"One of these days, I'll get it," Sam grumbled. "I'll kick that slimy Gollum out of my way, and I'll take it. I'll take that Precious while he's sleeping. But how do I get rid of Gollum?"

Up ahead, the creature in question, who had excellent hearing, slowed his pace to walk next to Frodo.

In his deep, throaty voice, Gollum related what he had heard. Contrary to character, he only embellished a few small details, telling most of it word-for-word.

To not raise suspicion, Frodo stared straight ahead. "We'll have to be watchful, Gollum." Distraught, he added, "I never expected this from Sam. He was always such a nice fellow. But he knows how to get what he wants. I think we should be very careful. Very careful indeed."

The three pushed on, through rain and snow, light and dark. More than once, they had to take cover behind a protruding rock while armies of orcs, goblins, and other creatures passed by. And with every step, Frodo's strength waned. He grew more irritable, more distrustful of his companions. Bit by bit, the Ring took hold of Frodo, controlling him, filling his mind with dark thoughts; thoughts of The Eye. More than once, Frodo woke in a cold sweat, feeling the searing pain as The Eye searched for him. It burned through him like a flaming arrow, filling him with desire for the sweet relief that came only from wearing the Ring.

It wouldn't be long before Frodo was completely destroyed. But at who's hand? The One Ring, or Samwise Gamgee?