Chapter 6

AUTHOR'S NOTE- Gomein asi (I'm so sorry in Japanese). This chappy is another shorty... but it's all part of my brilliant plan!! AAhahahaha!! sorry... I now present to you, chapter 6!

Read, comment, vote, and enjoy!

~Aurora Chan. <3

Chapter 6

Images of dark horses carrying men in black fly and gallop across my mind. Soon, the images become a mirage, running straight towards us. I clamp my eyes shut and open them again, but the mirage remains, a ghostly apparition. I glance behind us frequently half expecting the lone rider who murdered his horse to come crawling up behind me. I catch Suraji glance behind him too. But I know he's not expecting an army to come charging at him, he's looking at me. I can see worry in his eyes. The worry an older brother would have for a younger sister. He obviously knows I'm still a unhinged about yesterday morning, why wouldn't I be. I swear to the gods that boy can read me like a book. For all the moons I've known Suraji, he's been able to tell me characteristics about myself that I would have never known unless Indra himself told me.

He is, or was, my future adviser. Suraji was originally set to be Sumati's adviser, but when Sumati left for Goa she commanded that Suraji was not to follow her and that he was unneeded in her presence, so his loyalty fell to me. I met Suraji when I was only five summer's old. I was attending my very first Royal Senate, which was a five year old's ultimate torture. I was forced to sit in my pink and yellow sari, for four straight hours. And it wasn't just sitting, it was sitting up straight and still while a room full of grown ups talked in gibberish I didn't understand and didn't care to. I soon became fidgety and restless as the time dragged on. I started thinking about how I was wasting my time in this awful place when I could be outside trying to fly after the beautiful birds that hung around my window. I might have happened upon a Chinkara or two. There was never a dull moment during those four grueling hours. Mukul kept looking at me with a horrible distaste in his 9 year old eyes. Perfect Mukul, an emperor to the deepest depths of his soul.

I was finally set free from my cage after the Senate was adjourned. As I dragged myself off of my horrible chair and began to hop towards my freedom I saw a boy of about six, clad in cream, looking as lost and as bored as I had. The boy caught my eye and his eyes widened so immensely they might as well have popped out of their sockets. He lowered his head and began to back towards the door of the throne room. I started towards him, but this only made him quicken his pace. The boy, with his lowered head still to me, began to fumble for the handles of the doors. I was loosing my chance.

“You! Wait!” I commanded in my best royal voice. The boy froze mid step, his feet teetering, his body turned to ridged stone.

“Who are you and why do you back away from me as if I hold a knife?” I questioned. I tried to make myself taller, this boy was at least three inches above my head. The boy slowly raised his head. His eyes where wide and dark, like midnight, his hair also black and messy as if he'd just fought for his life. The boy's face was slim and tight. He was either trying to keep his expression from contorting in fear, or bursting out in laughter. I quickly settled on the 'contorting in fear'. Why? Was he afraid of me. I was a girl, smaller and younger than he was.

“Are you mute or are you afraid to talk to a girl?” I asked meaning to poke fun at this one. The boy straightened, obviously upset now. I smiled to myself, it seemed I'd gained victory. The boy opened his mouth to justify himself. His voice was slow, steadied, and cautious.

"I'm never afraid, and never will be. I-I'm Suraji Kaur; future adviser to Princess Sumati Mhasa. a-and you. you're the..” his voice trailed off. Suraji's eyes darted downward towards the stone floor. His short speech seemed rehearsed and prideful, but he still appeared intimidated by my mere presence. What was this great respect he had shown to me?

“What?” I questioned in my small, childish, voice. “I am the princess, well, I will be. Why are you so scared then, you're a boy?”

“My father, the adviser to the his highness the emperor, told me to respect the princesses, because they're girls and princesses...” again, Suraji's hurried sentence trailed off at the very end. With his last word, he started to sink downward a bit, his shoulders rose up around his head. He startled me when he began to speak again.

“When I was four. I was bound to Princess Sumati, destined to be her adviser. Ever since then, she's used me more like a donkey, or a personal minion. Then you, Princess Shashi, you came along and you were a copy of your sister and you were-,” he stopped short. “Forgive princess, I'm out of line. Cut my head of now If you want!” Suraji clamped his dark eyes shut and inhaled. I was left to stare the boy, preparing himself for decapitation. He assumed I was like my older sister Sumati; independent, and a bit power hungry. I never wanted to be like Sumati, I had always loathed the way she paraded about the palace. But that was Sumati, it was in my blood to be high up. I was the princess, born to rule over people, so it was only natural that I have privilege. But there before was a boy who had watched me from afar, silently conceiving the thought that I was arrogant and tyrannical. So this was my first impression on others. This is how I, Shashi Indrani Mhasa, was thought of.

“I'm not at all like my sister.” I said. “And you can calm down, I won't cut off your head.” Suraji let his pent breath go. His eye lids separated and his dark eyes looked at me in disbelief.

“Really?” his voice was small, and a bit squeaky, full of suprise.

“Yeah.” I said, a smile forming on my small lips. “I'd never cut off someone's head, that's kind of disgusting. I like you, how old are you?”

Suraji's eyes began to widen again. “I-I'm six.” I laughed slightly, my smile was growing bigger the second.

“Friends?” I asked. Suraji opened his mouth to speak, but couldn't. His face was so utterly surprised I began to wonder if it was possible for him to die of shock. Not waiting for an answer I reached for Suraji's hand, encasing his fingers in my small hands. I stood on tip-toe and brought my mouth up to his ear.

“Let's see who can reach the top of the North stairs the fastest,” I said. I began to pull my new found friend out of the golden doors of the throne room, my smile almost leaping off my face.

~

A strand of black hair whips across my face leaving my eyes watering in the howling wind. I'm blinded for a few seconds, until I focus again, and I see bumps on the horizon. Damodora, Neelam, and Suraji see them too.

“Fia.” Neelam yells over the wind. The first of many Qiang dynasty towns. It's probably already crawling with Patlimputrian military and enemy Qiang citizens, thirsting for the name of Shashi Indrani. I'm reluctant to go into such a heavily populated area, but we're in desperate need of rest. Seems I have no choice but to walk straight into the lions den.

Author's Note-

Short Chappy... I know. But need I remind you... It's part of my plan, muahahahahaha... (That's kinda creepy Aurora... calm down)

~Aurora Chan <3