Winter's Child

“It started snowing early this year,” Theo said as he trudged through the ankle deep snow with his partner, Damien, by his side.

Reins clutched in his hand, Theo tugged along two horses as they hauled a small wagon filled with winter supplies and provisions. Because they lived in seclusion, away from prying eyes and gossip-filled mouths, stocking up for the harsh winter ahead had been their usual routine for the past five years.

“It did,” Damien acknowledged as his gaze drifted over the tree branches bare of leaves swathed in tender white clouds. The path leading toward their wooden cabin reflected the soft lilacs of dusk while gnarly shadows swayed across the fluffy blanket. He breathed in the air heavy with frost and crystals, and he closed his eyes with the next step so he could savor the crisp and pure scent of snow. The sharp cold nipped at their flushed cheeks and nose tips.

“Not that I mind,” added Theo after a few moments of almost deafening tranquility with only the baritone crunch of their boots treading the snow and the muffled clomp of hooves breaking the silence of the sleeping forest. “It means we’ll just have to suffer through sharing the warmth. You know… cuddling and… a bit more.”  His eyebrows danced up and down as he graced Damien with a sweet, loving smile, showing off his small white teeth. Even his freckles seemed to rejoice, dusted over the bridge of his nose.

Damien’s laughter boomed through the forest as the air fogged around his face.

“My favorite part of the winter,” he said as he clasped Theo’s gloved hand in his and pulled his beloved closer for a sweet, but cold and chapped, kiss. “I cannot believe you still have problems saying the word.”

Theo’s rosy cheeks flushed even more.

“After all those years of knowing Charlie, I’d thought you’d get past that. I mean… when the two of you get together, who could stop you chattering on like children?”

“Ah, yes, Charlie…” Theo said as he heaved a nostalgic sigh, “It’s never boring with her around. And the others. I can’t wait for Christmas so we finally get to see them again.  I bet you miss Olivia and the children, but I’m sure Kaden is keeping a close eye on her and the twins. They’re quite mischievous.”

“What did you expect when they have Charlie as an honorary aunt? And don’t underestimate Olivia.”

“Oh! Never! That woman… She’s like a quiet river, making her own way in the world and we’re all just like fish, following her path.”

“Do you… do you miss them? Do you regret not living closer?” Damien asked in a whisper as he squeezed Theo’s hand lightly.

“I do,” Theo said, “but I don’t regret anything. We’ve had our fair share of adventures with them. I just want to spend the rest of our lives together… just you and me, as we planned. And anyway,” he shrugged, “we get to see them a few times a year and I’m all right with that as long as I have you.”

The corners of Damien’s lips quirked up as he leaned a bit closer into Theo, walking side by side, shoulders brushing. “Yeah, I love you.”

 “I love —”

 A small creature emerged from the snow-covered bushes, stumbling onto their path twenty paces away. It crumbled to the ground.

Hunter and survival instincts kicking in, Theo let go of the reins and pulled out his short-sword while Damien grabbed his short-bow, nocking an arrow, aimed at the intruder. The horses stopped, and neighed in protest as their ears twitched about.

“What—” Damien wanted to ask but the small bundle on the ground whimpered.

“Fie! It’s a child!” Theo exclaimed as he rushed forward, short-sword still in hand, wary of possible danger.