Chapter Sixty-Nine: SCOTT

Standing at the back of the room, Scott looked out of the tenth-floor window. The square below was filling with people, and rapidly becoming a sea of banners and flags. Across the square, on the roof of the business and finance ministry, a sniper lay sprawled out, hiding behind a carved stone facade. His rifle peeked through the drainage hole which served as his vantage point.

Scott waited impatiently for the briefing to begin. All morning, Zeke had monopolised his time, with one minor task after another to complete. So far, he'd walked the perimeter six times, checked the security cameras and had even been asked to check the staffing levels of the facilities management team. With each passing hour and every menial task completed, his sense of unease increased. Hannah's call hadn't helped either. He knew he'd been abrupt on the phone, but it was foolish of her to ring from inside Briggs' apartment. She'd seemed worried about something, but it was too late to contact her now. She'd arrived five minutes ago and was apparently being tutored in public speaking by Brigg's PR team. Scott tried to reassure himself that if Briggs truly knew of their plans, he wouldn't be stood here now, fogging up the window pane with his breath. But why had he suddenly been excluded?

"Thanks for coming." Zeke entered and went straight to the front of the room. "I'll keep this as short as possible."

The fifty or so operatives, army representatives and senior government officials took to their seats.

"Before I begin with the briefing, I must inform you that earlier this morning we received word that the body of Professor Clairbourne, the Head of Screening and Genetics had been found dead. An autopsy is being carried out, but I'm led to believe the ME will rule it to be suicide from a single gunshot wound to the head."

Around him, people gasped or whispered to each other. Clairbourne was known by all, given that he had evaluated most of them at one time or other. Scott shifted in his chair. He felt no pity for the man and Clairbourne should take his life right then.

"Did he leave a note?" asked one of Briggs advisers.

Scott held his breath.

"No, we've not found one as yet, although I have a team currently searching his home and office. General Briggs is obviously saddened by the news, however he has made it clear, that this should have no bearing on today's events."

Zeke held out his hands to quieten the room and set about giving the briefing. For twenty minutes, he quickly reviewed the security details one last time. Lieutenant Colonel. Richards who was sitting on the front, raised his hand.

"Sir." Zeke nodded to the Senior Officer.

"Matheson. I've been trying to speak to the General all day and yet each time I've been turned away. This is highly unusual. Could I ask the meaning of this?"

Scott sat up straight in his chair.

"Sir. I was about to address that very question, as many of you have asked the same thing. Shortly after learning of Professor Clairbourne's death, General Briggs received intelligence that there may be a conspiracy against him and the government. Against advice, the General has decided to go ahead with today's speech as planned. But make no mistake, a root and branch investigation has been launched into these allegations."

"Is this related to the death of Clairbourne?" Another person asked.

"It very well could be, however I am unable to share anything further at this time, but I do know that no one is free from scrutiny."

Richards huffed loudly, shaking his head. Zeke looked directly at Scott.

"Okay, ladies and gentlemen, we have just under an hour until the General takes to the stage. Remain vigilant."