Chapter Two

Chapter Two

It was a beautiful evening outside, but Kitty had no room left in her brain to think about idle things like the weather or the millions of white specks that hung in magnificent contrast to the black sky. Her thoughts were overturning like the soil that was ploughed by a tractor, each thought and theory being discarded as her mind chugged along loudly in an attempt to formulate something useful.

She couldn't quite believe what she had witnessed, or to be more specific what she had thought she had witnessed. There could be a myriad of explanations to justify what had happened; deception of the eyes, evils spirits, even poison, but, those ideas were far too silly so she settled on the theory that she didn't quite see what she thought she saw.

Yet, her mind kept on wandering back to the torrents of wind funnelling in a manifold of directions, the look on the scrawny guys face as the last of his breath was ripped away from his lungs leaving him slumped over the pavement.

The thoughts left her feeling breathless and confused. Nothing made sense. How could she explain the raw instinct that told her to follow them, or the kicks in her gut that stopped her from talking to the police?

Speaking of the police, there was something off, normally they would have snapped her away for questioning, but everything was hushed up. No, there was something definitely wrong about what just happened. Especially those two men who had appeared out of nowhere and whisked Adrian away like he was a tumbleweed in the wind. Kitty felt herself panic as she came to the conclusion that Adrian was in trouble, but she quickly dismissed it. He was a grown man and quite capable of taking care of himself.

Walking along the grey pavement, avoiding the splodges of chewing gum dotted on the tarmac, she veered off down the small road and onto a dimly lit street; her apartment was situated at the end. As Kitty approached the rusty gate she looked up to her flat. It was on the top floor, about three storeys high, the windows facing due south.

The block was built in the late 1960's, meaning that everything was just a slab of grey brick. Things weren't built for decor, but practicality and efficiency in order to satisfy the rising need of places to house those with nowhere to go. It wasn't a particularly nice area, with gangs and high crime rates, but the rent was cheap and her flat was only a ten minute walk to the pub.

Fiddling around in her bag, she brought out a jangling set of silver keys, before slotting them into the keyhole.

Home sweet home.

The apartment wasn't the greatest, but it suited her fine. Not too big and fancy, but not too small and cramped either. The kitchen and lounge room were situated in one big open space, so while she cooked her dinner some nights, she would watch her small screen TV. There were two other doors in the joint room that you first step foot into, one led to the bedroom while the other led to the bathroom, toilet and laundry all built into one.

Despite the actual apartment with faded white walls stained with a yellowish tinge from a previous owner, the furniture was in good nick. Kitty didn't like asking others for help as she was a dependant person, always has been and always will be, but her adoptive family would use her birthday as an excuse to help her build up her household items.

Walking towards her kitchen bench, Kitty plopped her bag and keys down on the counter and clicked the play button on her red flashing answering machine while she walked around to the fridge to get a drink.

"Hey sweetie, it's mum here," Kitty rolled her eyes, but a smile played on her face. It wasn't like she didn't recognise her own adopted mothers’ voice. "Just a friendly reminder about the family brunch tomorrow, everyone's going to be here too, and you have to help me suss out your brothers new girlfriend....he says she’s not a tramp, but we all know what that boys taste is like." And her mum laughed softly which caused Kitty to chuckle along with her as she remembered her brothers last girlfriend, "Anyway, love you, hope you're taking care of yourself and can't wait to see you tomorrow," her mum blew kisses into the phone and then the line went dead for a moment until the mechanic voice asked her if she would like to hear the message again.