Greener On The Other Side

Chapter One

I tugged on my new hat that Ayden had gotten me. It was a white fuzzy hat, with comfortable ear pockets at the top. It fitted my own ears perfectly.  

I placed the hat on to my head, adjusting my ears to fit inside.

I glanced in the mirror that hung up on my bedroom wall.

My bright, blonde, hair swept above my forehead. I pulled a few strands away from my covered eye and pet my ears softly, observing myself carefully through the my reflection in the mirror making sure I looked okay.  

I zipped up my comfy, warm sweater up and headed out of my room to enter the lengthy, empty hall that had rooms which the hybrids lived in.  

Everyone must already have been downstairs at breakfast. Ive must have overslept like always. I needed my beauty sleep.

Voices filled the room where the hybrids at breakfast as I only stood outside the door. I inhaled then exhaled before entering the loud room. 

"Jaryd!" I hear a familiar voice holler out.

Ayden suddenly tackled hugged me almost making me fall back. He squeezed his body against mine so tight. "Ayden!" I smiled excitedly and hugged him.  

We made a scene practically in front of everyone.  

"Took you long enough. What were you doing? You overslept again, didn't you?" Ayden crammed all of his words together.

We finally released each other. "Sort of." I admitted shyly. Ayden and I have been friends since forever. He knew me like the back of his paw.

"Knew it. Anyways, c'mon let's get something to eat. I'm starved." Ayden rubbed his tummy and licked his lips in hunger.  

"Yes I am too." I agreed and followed Ayden rushing over to the breakfast line.  

My mouth watered at the view of the delicious food, but I only grabbed some milk and an apple. Ayden, on the other hand had a tray full of everything.  

Ayden ate a lot for a slim hybrid.

I spotted a group of hybrids at the table that Ayden and I normally sat at. They looked older then us. Why were they sitting at the outcast table?

They all seemed too cool to be there.

I nudged Aydens elbow. Ayden looked shocked as I did. No one ever sat by us. Especially the older hybrids.  

I squealed a little, startling Ayden. "Sorry." I whispered. We sat down 

at the end of the table unnoticed so we didn't disturb the hybrids who chatted amongst themselves.

Ayden sat besides me. He dug in to his breakfast. A wave of hesitation swept over us. I soon bite into the apple.

"Hey," A deep yet sensitive voice called out at the end of the table.

I glanced at the hybrids that all had their eyes on me.  

My face went red and hot staring in the hybrids gray, misty eyes. Was he talking to me? I hope he wasn't.

"Uh- h-hello." I starred tentatively into his eyes.  

"You guys wanna join us?" The gray eyed hybrid offered us. Ayden choked on his food, coughing.

"Er.. sure."

Ayden squinted his eyes glaring evilly at me. I'm going to regret this.

I scooted down the long table and sat just three seats away from the hybrids that were most certainly older then us. Or at least appeared older as I got a closer look at them.

I gestured Ayden over. Still glaring at me. "C'mon I don't bite.." The gray eyed hybrid warmly smiled at me, pausing for a second.

"That hard." He chuckled, along with his friends, I assume they were. His teeth looked sharper then a blade. He probably does bite. 

Oh gosh.

Don't panic Jaryd. He wouldn't bite me. Would he?

Ayden finally joined in and sat next to me. Ayden still darted his eyes at me, but brushed it off as the older hybrids started talking.  

"So. what is your name?" The gray eyed hybrid questioned with a grin still planted on his face.  

"Uh.. J-Ja-Jaryd." I stuttered. I felt embarrassed and my face and whole body heat up.

Smooth move Jaryd. "Haha. I'm Marshal." Marshal was a nice name.  

"Cool." I gulped my remaining milk down my throat trying to come up with something to say 

The older hybrids continued on chattering on about older hybrid stuff that Ayden nor I would understand.

I bite down on my sleeve that draped over my hands loosely. Ayden stayed quiet. Why did Marshal only ask for my name, but not Aydens? He must feel so out of place and left out.

"He's adorable though," One of the older hybrids must have said. She was starring at me with her orange-ish yellow eyes, glistening.  

She said I was adorable. I was no way, shape or form of any adorableness.  

"Jaryd. You're so dead." Ayden announced whispering. "Oh shut up." I hushed him.

Ayden stared blankly at the table in front of him.

"Sorry Ayden. I didn't want to say no. I'll make it up to you later. Okay?" Ayden nodded understandingly.  

"Otay." I tackled hugged him softly. He hugged back. Ayden always shy when it came to the older hybrids. We've never talked to older ones.

"Awwww!" Marshal and a few of his friends awed from behind us in unison. I let go placing my hands on my lap, blushing shyly. Crap. Ayden was blushing too.  

They must think we're total weirdos now. It's was a habit. Ayden and I always hugged. It was a daily thing we did. Our friendship is tight.

We sat quietly in our seats. The older hybrids proceeded their conversation.  

"Jaryd." Marshal whispered. "Y-yes."

"Were all going out to Crownhill Lake tonight," Marshal paused. "Would you like to come?" My eyes widened. Marshal invited me to Crownhill Lake. I don't know which is more scary.

Rumor has it Crownhill Lake is haunted or something. No one ever stepped foot near Crownhill. I've never even seen the Lake. I couldn't refuse.  

I profoundly though to myself. This is going to be risky for Ayden and I. I'm not a hundred percent sure if the rumors are true though.

Ayden was just as surprised as I was. I was never been invited anywhere.  

"Yes- I mean sure." I coughed.  

"Alright. Be at Crownhill at 9." He stated. I nodded.  

Marshal was probably 16. And he just asked a 13 year old to hang out with him. Wait. What about Ayden. I'm not going without him.

"Can Ayden come too?" Marshal turned around to get a look at Ayden who was still stuffing his face. "Yeah, of course."

"Go where?" Ayden blurted out.

"To Crownhill Lake." Ayden lost total trail of thoughts and stopped eating. "What?!" Ayden was mortified. "Are you for real?"

"There is no way I'm going there Jaryd," He muttered. "You know the rumors say a hybrid once went in there, and never came back out."

"That's fake Ayden. Stop being so scary." I got up from my seat. "I'm not being scary." Ayden protested.

"So your not going?" I asked.  

Ayden rolled his eyes. "I will." I pulled on his ears playfully. He scrunched up his face and waved his hand, swatting my hands away.

----------------------------------

:D -Giggles-