Chapter 21

I'd begun to think of myself as Ethan Hawke, the main character from Mission: Impossible. Somehow, I'd become the mastermind. Every time Emmett saw me enter a room, he would hum the theme song of Mission: Impossible.

It was now Saturday afternoon, and already we had a visit from the wolves. Sam and Jacob came by with Billy acting as the spokesman for the Quileute elders.

"Sam told me that you spoke of a greater danger that was approaching?"

I looked into the eyes of the man that was my father's best friend. They were cold and unresponsive, the warmth that I loved to see in his eyes were long gone.

"Billy, believe me, the last thing I wanted to do was bring a war here. But it was almost inevitable. My maker threatened the lives of everyone I knew, both human and vampire, if I didn't go with him. I couldn't let that happen, so I went to Italy and became this." I held up my hands in surrender to show it wasn't something I would have chosen willingly unless lives weren't dependant on it.

"Through a series of events, I uncovered a plot to kill the Cullen's." I knelt down to Billy's level, careful not to move too fast, but I needed him to really hear my pleas. "You have to remember the kind of person I was before this nightmare began, and know that they meant too much to me for me not to do anything about it. Aro is a very powerful vampire and his resources are just as powerful."

"And yet why should this concern my people?"

"Don't you get it Billy? Just to prove a point, the entire town of Forks will be drained dry by the Volturi. We want to prevent that, and I believe two enemies can work together for the common good. Please?"

"Have you been living with Charlie Bella?"

"You should know. You talk to Charlie everyday to make sure he's alive. I would never hurt my father or anyone else. I've never had human blood ever, and for you to suggest my own father?" I pushed up from the wheelchair with disgust and walked to the far end of the room, never once did I take my eyes from Billy's.

Billy looked up at Sam and then to Jacob, and then back to me. He looked like a fish when he opened his mouth to speak and then closed it again. He looked into the eyes of everyone in my family before finally resting back on mine.

"Very well, the decision of the elders is this: 'we are in agreement that the Cullen's did not violate the terms of the treaty, on the faith that this Aro as you call him, was in fact the one who changed you. Our treaty is with only those that claim to be a Cullen. That being said, the pack will fight alongside the Cullen's to rid the town of Forks of human drinking vampires.'"

I was shocked that Billy was going to be so accommodating. I had expected that the elders would have voted that the pack wouldn't fight with us, and apparently, so did Sam. The only thing that seemed to keep his mouth shut was the respect that he had for Billy. Though he needed to do a better job of hiding his emotions from his face.

"What is your plan?" Sam asked with a stern grip of his jaw. His lips barely moved.

"Well in a few weeks, we will be hosting some vampires that have agreed to help us out as well. The Volturi will be arriving the day after graduation. They won't be expecting them or wolves for that matter. The objective of the Volturi is simply to reacquire myself, and to coerce Edward, Alice and Jasper to join the ranks of the guard. Whether they agree or not, the other Cullen's will be killed. It wouldn't even matter if they ran, Aro's tracker, Demetri, probably listened for everyone's mind when he was here for the memorial."

"I'm not too sure what that is supposed to mean, and quite frankly I don't care. My pack is only in this to ensure that the humans survive whatever is coming. What happens to the Cullen's is not my problem. But rest assured we will be wherever you need us." Sam turned to leave and took Billy with him. Jacob looked back at me with longing eyes before leaving himself.

"Well that went better than could be expected." Esme said with relief.

"Yes, it seems Bella will need to be our representative when dealing with the tribe. They seem to be much more reasonable when she speaks with them. I highly doubt either of us would have gotten the same response from Billy or even Sam for that matter." Carlisle pulled Esme closer to him and gave her a peck on the cheek. "I have a shift at the hospital tonight. Dr. Snow called out sick today and I agreed to cover for him."

Esme nodded and returned a kiss on her husband's lips. Carlisle waved to us before he walked out of the door.

"More than likely it's out of courtesy because she's Charlie's daughter." Edward said, continuing the conversation. "Bella is the only vampire that they used to know and love as a human before their transformation. They're probably having a hard time processing that she is now their mortal enemy."

"You may be right there." I heard Carlisle's voice call out from the garage where his car was parked. I shook my head in amazement that they just carried on a conversation while Carlisle was outside by his car.

Charlie called soon after, to check up on me and to make sure that I was okay. With me being gone for so long, it seemed Charlie couldn't relax until he knew I was okay after not seeing me in a few hours. No one blamed him, especially me, he endured too many months of thinking I was dead. Though, in every sense of the word, I was dead. Charlie just didn't need to know the technicalities.

After everything settled down at the manor once the wolves left, me and Edward made our way to the meadow. I took in my surroundings, since I hadn't come to this place since I had that violent vision of the past.

The flowers were in full bloom and bits of the sun were flowing through the air. Edward grabbed my hand and we danced in the perfect grassy circle as he hummed my lullaby. I closed my eyes and rested my head on his shoulder. There was nothing that could top this moment.

"You know, the lion is still in love with the lamb." Edward whispered to me.

I couldn't really think of anything witty to say. I was hardly a lamb anymore that was in danger of getting eaten by the lion. "But the lamb became a lion and learned how to growl back." It was the best I could do, I guess.

"Bella, you're missing my point." He rolled his eyes and I could tell he was thinking that I was just being silly again. You'll always be the sweet innocent lamb that I fell in love with. And I can't imagine not having you by my side ever again. I was a fool and I want, no I need to make it up to you."

I looked up at him then and saw the urgency in his eyes. His hand left my waist and reached behind him. I stepped away from him just as he pulled a diamond ring that was surrounded by tiny emeralds.

"It was my mother's, so don't think that I spent money on you. I know how you are." He said it with such a smirk that I couldn't help but smile back.

"Isabella Marie Swan, would you do the honor of marrying me?"

I looked at Edward's face, memorizing every crease and remembered everything that we shared and all that we've been through. I knew there was no way that I could ever be separate from him as well. But marriage?

I closed my eyes and quickly saw myself standing next to Edward, and I didn't need to see the rest of the vision. I knew what I wanted matched Edward's needs.

"Yes, Edward. Yes, I'll marry you." I knelt down to Edward's level and we started kissing with passion and celebration. "I'm yours always."