Chapter 4

The drive back to Forks was nerve-racking, and I was glad Demetri let me borrow his iPod for the drive. I didn't know it was so obvious how anxious I was. Besides, the Cullen's, I wanted to see Charlie so bad. I wanted to comfort him somehow, but I couldn't think of anything that would work. It only took four hours but we arrived in town and first headed towards the high school. When Afton went on his fact finding mission, he found out the ceremony was being held in the auditorium of the school, since there wasn't a place in Forks that could hold so many people.

I was moved at the idea that there were so many people that turned out to see my memorial when we arrived at the parking lot. People were parked on the lawns because there were no more spots available. I didn't know I was so popular.

"We should have different names, Bella." Demetri said as I placed my hands on the handle of the door. "For obvious reasons, you especially. I don't know how much your friends know about the guards, so me and Corin should as well."

The both of them stared at me as if I was their leader. I shook my head in disbelief, as I wasn't even planning on speaking to anyone today. But then again it was always good to be prepared. "Okay, umm, Corin is Cayla, Demetri, you will be David, and I'm Brianna. How's that?"

"And our cover story?" Corin, I mean Cayla asked.

"We're all friends of Bella's from Phoenix. Me and Cayla are sister and brother, and we thought of Bella as a sister. Brianna, you'll be my girlfriend." I didn't even have time to protest since Demetri and Corin got out of the car as soon as the story was cemented. Hurried out after them, and slammed the door.

"David, can I speak with you for a moment?" I asked, calling him back towards the car. Corin stopped where she was staring back at us. Demetri walked back and then put his arms around me.

"Listen babe, don't think for a second that Aro won't kill your precious Cullen's if you don't play nicely. So lighten up, and be my girl." I cringed slightly as I realized that he was leaning in for a kiss. In my head I vowed that this would be the only time I allowed myself to cringe at Demetri kissing me. He made it very clear that if I wanted the Cullen's to live, I had a role to play. I felt his lips make contact with mine, and imagined I was kissing Edward. "Now that's what I'm talking about." Demetri said when we pulled out of the kiss.

I straightened myself up and slipped my arm around his waist, while his arm naturally fit along my shoulders. "Finally!" Corin said as we made our way over to her. "I thought you two were going to miss the memorial." I sent my shield around Demetri and Corin, and we walked to the auditorium. We made sure that we were following others to the right building since none of us had technically "visited" Forks before. Everyone was staring at us as we walked alongside them into the large area. Corin was able to give us a tan, but she couldn't manage to get rid of the immortal glow as I called it. We were still too gorgeous for the likes of Forks.

"This was a bad idea." I whispered to Corin and Demetri. "The Cullen's are going to know what we are immediately.

"Not really, my gift is kept a secret from anyone outside of Volturi. Eleazar is the only one that knows, and he's been forbidden to speak about the gifts of other vampire's. Once they see our eyes, they'll be just as confused as any other vampire that's seen us in disguise. We'll be fine." Corin assured me.

I looked around the room and quickly found Renee, Phil, and Charlie sitting together. It didn't matter that they were in the front row; I'd always be able to recognize Renee's bobbing head. Both Phil and Charlie were comforting Renee, who was sobbing into a well worn tissue. "I have to speak to them." I said to my newest companions, who followed my gaze to my parents. We walked down the aisle of the auditorium gracefully, and one look at my mother and I wished I could cry the tears that were pouring down her face.