Chapter 28

It has been two weeks since the night at the station. Apparently after Matt left the police station he drowned. I find it hard to believe he did it alone, knowing he wouldn't even go near water. Melissa never let us explain to her what happened that night. She's been locked in her room every time she's home. Stiles' dad got his job back and all seemed to be right in the world.

I don't believe that for a second. I think this is the calm before the freaking hurricane. I can feel it, and I know Stiles does too. He has been distant since that night also. I think it's because everything happened and he was completely helpless. All I know is that something is different now. We're still together, but it seems more out of familiarity than passion.

Don't get me wrong, I love Stiles with all of my heart, but we both need to figure some things out. He see's the school councilor now. I feel like we lost something after that fight, and I'm going to fight like hell to get that back. I have been sitting on my bed contemplating calling Stiles for hours. I hear a familiar hiss coming from Scott's room.

I rush in only to see the kanima holding Melissa by the throat with it's tail. Gerard is sitting the corner like a fucking creep and Scott looks just as surprised as I am. "Looks like we have a special guest. Lia why don't you give Scott your opinion on these new developments?" Gerard asks. "Why don't you guys just come at us directly instead of hiding behind human shields like a little bitch?" I question. "I have to say, I like your spirit. You remind me of your mother. As I was saying the kanima is a weapon of vengeance." Gerard states.

"This is about Kate?" Scott questions. "I didn't just come here to bury my daughter. I came to avenge her." Gerard answers. The kanima drops Melissa and we rush to her side. "Are you okay?" I ask. "I don't know what's happening. I don't know what that thing was or even what you are, but whatever he wants, just give it to him." Melissa says. "Mom it's not that easy." Scott states. "Do what he wants. Just give him what he wants." Melissa pleads. "I don't know if I can." Scott answers.

Scott has to leave for work, so I'm left alone with Melissa. "That man, he mentioned your mother. Why?" Melissa questions. "That is a long story. One I'm not sure you want to hear." I state. I excuse myself and grab my things for the game.

Once I get to the locker room, Coach is giving a speech. I stand next to Stiles and he sends me a smile. Melissa comes into the room and stands on the other side of Stiles. "What the hell is he talking about?" Melissa questions. "He does this every year." Stiles answers. "Seriously?" I ask. "Yeah." Stiles replies. "Wait is this-" Melissa starts. "Yeah, it's the speech from Independence Day. Coach's favorite movie." Stiles explains.

"Does he know any sport speeches?" Melissa asks. "I don't think he cares." I reply. "Today we celebrate our Independence Day!" Coach yells. Gerard walks in clapping. I instinctively place myself in front of Melissa and Stiles. I grab Stiles' hand tightly. "Well spoken coach. I might have chosen something with a little more historical value, but there' no denying your passion. And while I haven't been here long, there's no denying my pride in having a winning team for this school. I know you'll all be brilliant tonight, even will only one co-captain leading you. Now I'm your principal, but I'm also a fan. So don't think I'll be content to watch you merely beat this team. Go out there and murder them." Gerard instructs.

"Coach are you benching me?" Scott questions. "It's not my decision. Lockwood you're benched too, something about behavioral problems." Coach states. "But we have to play." I say. "McCall, you're failing three classes. Academics come first." Coach responds. "Coach you don't get it. You have to let us play." Scott states. "McCall no. Not tonight. Tonight you're on the bench." Coach says.

"Looks like you've got company tonight. Coach benched us." I state plopping on the bench next to Stiles. "What? Why?" Stiles questions. "Because whatever's happening tonight, Gerard doesn't want us stopping it." I answer. "Your dad coming?" Scott asks. "Yeah, he's already here." Stiles responds.

"You know what's going on?" Stiles asks. "Not yet." Scott answers. "It's going to be bad isn't it? I mean like people screaming, running for their lives, blood, killing, maiming kind if bad?" Stiles questions. "Looks like it." I respond with a sad smile. "The other night seeing my dad get hit over the head by Matt, you know, while I'm just laying there and I can't even move, it's just I want to help, but I can't do the things that you can do. I can't." Stiles confesses. "It's okay." I assure grabbing onto his hand again.

"We're losing guys." Stiles says. "The hell are you talking about? Game hasn't even started. Now put on your helmet and get out there. You're in for Greenberg." Coach states. "What happened to Greenberg?" Stiles asks. "What happened to Greenberg? He sucks. You suck slightly less." Coach explains. "I'm playing? On the field? With the team?" Stiles questions the most adorable grin on his face.

"Yes. Unless you'd rather play with yourself." Coach jokes. "I already did that today, twice." Stiles answers. "Twice?" I question trying to push the mental image out of my head. Too much of a distraction. "Get the hell out there!" Coach yells. Stiles grabs my face and pulls me into an excited kiss that leaves me breathless. Scott gives me a look obviously hearing my heartbeat. "Say anything and I punch you." I threaten.

"My son is on the field!" I hear the sheriff shout. I focus my mind on my jittery boyfriend on the field. To say he was freaking out was an understatement. He is just too adorable for words. I have an unhealthy obsession with Stiles Stilinski to say the least. I must have spaced out because I'm brought back by the sound of a whistle blowing.

Scott has this devastated look on his face. "What happened?" I question. "If I don't give him Derek by the end of the game, he's going to kill somebody." Scott informs me. "A stranger or someone we know?" I ask. "Why does it matter? Nobody dies tonight." Scott says. "Alright sorry." I respond holding my hands up in defense.

Stiles makes may attempts for the ball only to be tackled repeatedly. I cringe every time. "That does not look comfortable." I comment. Every time he is so full of hope and then he just gets knocked down. He's like a little puppy. Isaac sits down next to us. "You came to help." Scott says. "I came to win." Isaac states.

"You got a plan yet?" Isaac questions. "No, right now it's pretty much just keep Jackson from killing anyone." I answer. "Well that might be easier if you're actually in the game. We have to make it so coach has no choice but to play you." Isaac states. "How do we do that? He's got a bench full of guys he can use before he ever puts me on the field." Scott says. Isaac smirks at him. "Can you do it without putting anyone in the hospital?" Scott asks. "I can try." Isaac responds getting up.

Isaac start taking out player after player. The last player out before Scott is put in is Isaac. Jackson nicked him or something. "McCall you're in or we forfeit." Coach says. Melissa stops him before he reaches the field. "Hey there's something happening isn't it? Something more than a lacrosse game?" Melissa asks. "You should go." Scott instructs. "Oh, I'm not going anywhere. And everything I said before, forget it. Al of it okay? If you can do something to help, then do it, you have to." Melissa states. "I will." Scott responds.

Scott goes to check on Isaac, so I substitute in for him. I gives Stiles all of the opportunities I can. I literally throw the ball straight in front of him. Stiles stand still not knowing how to react, he then scoops up the ball. "Oh crap." I hear him mutter. Stiles starts running from the massive wave of players. He stops at the goal not moving. "Shoot it dumbass!" I yell. Stiles shoots it and makes the goal. The crowd and I both cheer.

"I scored a goal? I scored a goal! Whoo-hoo!" Stiles shouts. After that Stiles gets into the zone scoring goal after goal for our team. Every time I cheer just as loud as the first time. I check the clock and there is 30 seconds left on the clock. I look worriedly to Scott. The clock gets to zero and nothing happened. "We won!" Coach yells. "Nothing happened." I mumble.

All of the lights in the field go out. Everyone is screaming and running around. I start to look for Stiles. I find him by the goals. "Stiles thank G-" I start but stop when I feel volts of electricity shoot through my body. At some point the pain gets to be too intense and I pass out.