Chapter 5: Meeting Everett

Orion

That's all I needed, confirmation that my suspicions were correct. I looked at my watch and saw that it was six PM, Everett should be awake. Good, because I don't see any reason in waiting until tommarow morning to get answers.

Everett is either a threat to my pack, or he is the one threatened- and if that is the case it's my moral obligation to protect him. That thought gave me pause, the only people I'm morally obliged to protect is my pack.

But Everett is different for some reason, his very name gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. And ever since he moved to town my wolf has been acting weird ever since, stirring in my mind occationally and staying near the surface, like he was on the look out for something.

I don't know what's happening to me.

But there are more urgent matters at the moment. With that thought I left my office for my truck, while fishing the keys from my pocket. After I got to my truck and started the engine I peeled out of the driveway.

My hand's grip on the steering wheel tightened until my knuckles turned white. My wolf was just beneath the surface, growling as he faught me for control.

With how close he was to the surface I'm sure my eyes were glowing the brilliant green-blue of my wolf's. I looked at my reflection in the rearview mirror, and sure enough my eyes were shining brightly, pupils now the elliptical-shaped ones of Opal's eyes.

It occurred to me that Everett might be human, and at the sight of my wolf eyes he would freak out, run screaming into the hills, and give the tabloids a new headliner.

I could imagine it now; Man With Wolf-eyes would be exaggerated to Wolfman Spotted, then Town Of Werewolves- including stories of grisly murders caused by the 'Wolf people'.

I'm not concerned that anyone would believe that trash- but I am concerned that a hunter might see the magazine, gather up a hunting group and come to destroy the pack.

Not wanting to see the destruction of my pack I grabbed my shades from the sun visor and put them on, hiding my eyes perfectly. I pulled up to the curb and parked behind what looked to be Everett's truck.

I got out and was hit by a scent so powerful it nearly brought me to my knees. My wolf purred in appreciation as I tried to regain my balance. It smelled like fresh oranges and something else, something I couldn't identify.

The unknown scent was incredibly sweet smelling like honey, and had my mouth watering.

I walked up to the front door in such a haze I didn't even remember getting there. I rung the doorbell, and waited. My knees felt like they would buckle out from under me as the smell grew closer.

The door swung open and I instantly found myself lost in the most beautiful blue eyes I've ever seen. They were a gas flame blue, so vibrant in color that it made them even more mesmerizing.

But in an flash the pupils changed into elliptical slits, the blue irises expanded- leaving no white left, and changed to a honey brown. "He's ours." Opal said. Yes, he is ours, I thought in agreement.

Wait. He?

I was so lost in my mate's eyes that I didn't notice any of his other features. I stepped back and looked at the rest of my mate's features. Medium-short, dirty-blonde hair was in disarray, smooth face, and soft pink lips and I was shocked to discover my mate was indeed male.

Not possible, this has to be a mistake. Opal must be mistaken. "I am not mistaken!" Opal snarled. So this means the moon goddess made a mistake.

I was so confused, my brain malfunctioned from the shock- and I just stood there, frozen. Then just as quick as my brain shut off it was on again, and working at a million miles an hour.

In my befuddled state I had no control of myself, my body and mouth went rogue on me. "I reject you." I said in a rush. Pain flashed in his eyes before they changed back to his normal blue eyes.

His epression was blank, completely emotionless. "I accept your rejection." He said, before closing the door in my face. My body went autopilot, took me to my truck, and drove me away from my mate's home.

Everett

I leaned against the door as pain coursed through my body. Rejection hurts. But how could this have ever happened? Males don't have male mates, they have female mates.

And from what I could tell neither of us were females. I could still see him every time I closed my eyes; his warm brown eyes, chocolate brown hair, and well defined muscles. Nope, definately not a female.

Back to the situation- how did we end up being mates? Has the moon goddess been smoking something? I hissed when a pang of pain shot through my heart, it was so intense that I almost collapsed.

I stumbled into the kitchen and fell to my knees before the sink before throwing open the cabinet doors. I blindly reached into the back, and smiled when my fingers brushed against cool glass.

I wrapped by fingers around the bottle of whiskey and pulled it out. I threw the doors back shut and sat in one of the chairs at the table. I should pour my liquor into a glass, but seeing as it's just me drinking it doesn't really matter.

The cap twisted off with a crink. I brought the bottle to my lips and took long, deep swallows. I set the bottle down and smiled when the pain started to dull.

Alcohol doesn't effect werewolves as intensely as it does humans- in summary it takes alot of alcohol to get a werewolf hammered.

Looks like I have a lot of drinking to do.

You have finished the sample chapters, read full book here: https://www.dreame.com/novel/1963300-His-Stubborn-Mate.html?authorView=1