Chapter 6

Chapter 6:

"I'm sorry, I thought you said Nathan's ex." I laugh. "What did you really say?" I ask Emery, already knowing the answer.

Emery gives me a sympathetic look. "Don't worry honey. They broke up a long time ago. I'm sure she's not even interested in him anymore." She says optimistically.

We both turn to look at Ava, who is now sitting closer to Nathan, her hand on his thigh. She smiles at him, flashing her fangs.

"A vampire and a werewolf?" I scoff.  "I'm sorry. That just sounds wrong"

Emery glances at me. "You read too much twilight."

"Well obviously you do too, otherwise you wouldn't have understood the reference." I point out.

Emery laughs. I pry my gaze away from Nathan and Ava and refuse to look back.

I just met the guy. Why should I care what is romantic interests are?

Because I like him. Duh.

"Why is it that I can't seem to live a normal life?" I ask as I stab my salad angrily with a fork.

"Because you're a monster, dear."

"Well there's that," I reply, "but I can't seem to start at a new school without drama finding its way to me."

"What do you mean?" Emery asks.

"It's been three days, and I have an enemy who can manipulate my mind, a crush who is obviously taken, and I've predicted a person's death." And I've learned that I can kill people with just one touch if I want to. Luckily, I keep that part quiet.

"You do have it hard." Emery agrees. "But what's high school without a little drama?" She grins.

"Right." I snort.

"So. What's the story?" I ask Emery. I watch as she wraps her hand around her glass of coke. Frost starts to form on the sides of glass and soon it's cooler than the regular flat, warm pop she had started with.

"Ava was quite the little trouble maker." Emery starts, taking a sip. "Her and Nathan were sort of.." She wiggles her fingers in the air thoughtfully, "destined. The whole school thought they would make a good couple, and eventually they agreed. Ava and Nathan. Couple of freshmen year. And let me tell you, they were huge into PDA if you know what I mean. I found myself avoiding them as much as possible in the hallway to avoid gagging." She shakes her head at the thought of it. "Anyways. Then they started fighting, about pointless things really. Nathan didn't understand her attitude or Ava couldn't grasp the idea of Nathan rarely talking. Soon, the fights got heated. Yelling, screaming, object throwing. Finally Nathan had enough and ended it. Then Ava had a... breakdown." Emery pauses.

"What do you mean by breakdown?"

"Well, Ava isn't like most vampires. She has this extra ability." She stops and laughs. "Oh you're gonna love this. Straight out of twilight. Ava can torture people with her mind. Like that one vampire in the Volturi or whatever they call it. One glance at her victim, and he's down on the ground writhing in pain." Emery shakes her head and tsks. "She never thought of it as repulsive. She had fun with it. She would let up after a few seconds and laugh it off with the other person. But then she got in trouble a lot and she mellowed down a bit. After her and Nathan broke up, she was angry. No, more than angry. She was pissed. And she took her anger out on innocent members of the student building." Emery stops and looks a bit sad. "She killed two werewolves and a fairy. After she had calmed down, she felt horrible. She went straight to the headmaster and begged her to lock her up."

"She turned herself in?" I ask, surprised.

"Oh yeah. She said she couldn't even control what happened, that something came over her. She claimed she would never have killed anyone. But no one believed her." She  looks at Ava in disgust. "Why would anyone? You don't just kill people when you get angry."