The Thing in the Tree

The now terrified couple stood together shivering from the cold wind and rain as the thunder and lightning continued to crack from the invisible black sky. Every time lightning struck, the entire landscape around them lit up majestically for a fraction of a second, momentarily etching the perfect image of it in their eyes.

Not knowing what to expect each time the lightning struck, Kate struggled to keep her eyes open for fear of seeing something she would not want to see. It was only a few minutes after they had heard the evil laughter drifting from the bush, and both of them were starting to wonder whether they had simply imagined it altogether.

The rain became heavier and began to soak through their jackets. The icy wind blew, stinging their faces. Kate lifted her from Nick's chest slowly, unwilling to take a look around the darkness that suffocated them, but knowing she could no longer ignore the nagging feeling she felt to know what was happening.

The exact second Kate opened her eyes to stare into the darkness, an incredible lighting bolt struck closer than ever, illuminating the entire scene in front of her. The almighty "CRACK" which accompanied the fierce bolt deafened them both. But the disturbing thing was, that as she stared through the tangle of looming trees in front of her, not too far in the distance Kate could clearly make out a tall, crouched figure standing perfectly still high up un a tree branch, directly facing her. The dark figure stood in stark contrast to his background, as the gigantic bolt of lightning struck exactly behind it.

Kate let out an ear piercing scream.

Just as suddenly as the landscape had been completely lit up, the heavenly light vanished, leaving behind complete and utter darkness. The horrifying image of the creature's silhouette still lingered in her eyes as Kate continued to sob, burying her face into Nick's chest once again. Nick held her tightly, wondering what had happened to cause her so much distress. He looked around in the direction Kate had been facing, just as another bright lightning bolt shone across the sky, revealing nothing but the trees swaying violently in the wind.

"What is it?" Nick asked, frightened for the answer.

Sobbing, and almost inaudible, Kate whispered, "T-the t-thing..." pausing slightly for a sob, "...in the t-tree." Kate continued to whimper.

"What do you mean? A thing?.....What thing?" Nick was panicking now, frantically and unsuccessfully searching around him with his eyes.

"Why is this happening?" Kate cried out in anguish. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have bothered reading this far, I would love you to please take the time to comment and give me feedback.