Chapter 4

Peeping to the guardhouse I saw the fat man sitting on his chair munching on a box of doughnuts (two boxes were already empty and…man what a big belly!). He was comfortably sitting on his twirl-around chair with his feet held high on the table. What a slob! He was on the phone with someone whom I didn’t care about. I never meant to eavesdrop but I couldn’t help it. I just happen to be at the window.

            “…No! For Real? Are you lying to me?” says the guard.

            My ears caught a fuzzy voice from the telephone answering to the guard. “Really! I’m serious! Hmmph! Guess you envy me now, don’t you?”

            “A-ah. Well, yeah, yeah, I envy you. But haven’t you heard I’ve got a new job…at the infamous...AIIFA or is better known as the Angelique International Institute of Fine Arts! Haah! How’s that for envy!” the dopy guard exclaimed.

            He added, “I happen to be the chief of security here. I don’t mean to brag or anything, but I happen to be the best guard there is and I have my own office! Nobody can pass through Jerry Smith, world class, top, in-demand security guard chief of AIIFA! Hahahahaha!” A proud and silly laugh came up.

            “What a blockhead!” I thought to myself. Let’s see how unstoppable you really are! I slipped my hand into the room through the window and took a hold of the doughnuts in the box taking about seven of them.

            I took a bite of one to please my growling stomach. I don’t like it! I want the chocolate flavored one. I put back the other doughnuts and took chocolate ones. My hand was filled with that sweet pastry! Mmmmm! Satisfying!

            I just passed the guardhouse and slipped into the gate once again. A big Doberman, German shepherd and a pit-bull blocked the way. I knew this would happen so I was very well prepared. I threw to them the doughnuts I had brought in and they ate them! Good! I now rushed to the main door, opened it and locked it when I got through.

            Yes! Finally! Walking in confidence, I wore a big smile on my face. “That wasn’t so hard after all!” I said to myself.

            But it was too soon to speak. The dogs went through the doggy door and glared at me furiously. “…the hell?! Who would even put doggy-doors on the main gate?!” I exclaimed. Reaching into my pocket confident that I still had a doughnut for them to enjoy other than me….Surprise and fear caught me. Having three large dogs (no, make that two, excluding the pit-bull) chasing me without any means of self defense, I had to run. I did so keeping my eyes fixed at the back. After I had my climax I found out I was slowing down.

            “Oh-no-please- oh-no-please-oh-no-please don’t let them catch up!” I cried.

 The dogs tumbled down to my surprise. What happened? They were aching as I perceived it. Whining so terribly their action made me think. I got an odd shaped “thing” from the sculpture not knowing it was part of it actually and taking water from the fountain then giving it to them. I ran after because I still need to get home.

            When I entered the big arc I put my hand at my forehead to block away the sunlight walking towards the light. Tell me I’m hallucinating or whatever you’d like but I felt like floating on a surreal world where I saw a beautiful tree shedding orange-red and yellow leaves and it’s other shades. The exposure of light is set high in the sky. It was hard to pinpoint where it came from but the even distribution of light was just wonderful. The tree— ageing in appearance yet beautiful in elegance—nostalgic in sense attracted me proving that this place is worth calling world class.