The Ones That Got Away

I was sitting at a picnic table with Lou and Emma when Gladys approached us. The other campers gathered around Gladys. "Attention, campers! Today is the 97th Annual Camp Kikiwaka Fishing Contest!" Gladys told us. We all cheered. I love the fishing contest. Lou and I have been partners for it for the past 3 years. But we always lost.

"So hurry up and find yourself a partner." Gladys told us, "Something I wish I'd done years ago." I nodded, and walked up to Lou. We didn't exactly have to ask each other. We're always partners.

"The team that catches the biggest fish will be excused from chores for one whole week!" Gladys informed us. We all cheered, except for Ravi, who booed.

"I actually enjoy chores. Alphabetizing the Lost and Found items is the highlight of my day." Ravi told us. I raised an eyebrow. "If you find my hopes and dreams in there, let me know." Gladys said, before walking away.

"Hey, Lou. Wanna team up with Ravi?" I asked. Even though, Ravi can be a bit of a fun-killer, he was still a good friend, plus. He has samosas! Lou nodded in agreement and we walked up to Ravi.

"Hey, Ravi, do you want to come with us to get Big Whiskers?" Lou asked. Ravi turned to us and a wide smiled appeared on his face. "Yes! A thousand times, yes! I have tried every mustache-growing ointment known to man." Ravi cheered. I raised an eyebrow.

"What?" I asked. "Oh, this is not about facial hair, is it?" Ravi asked, disappointed. I shook my head; 'No.' Ravi looked down at the ground in embarrassment.

"Big Whiskers is a catfish we've been trying to catch for a few years, now." I explained to Ravi. "Last time he got away, he took my finger with him!" Lou shouted. She raised her hand, to reveal her 5 fingers.

"You still have five fingers." Ravi informed her. "She used to have six," I told him. "He actually did me a favor. I can wear gloves now." Lou said, in amazement.

"Well, it would be nice to win at a camp-related sport. Crushing the macramé tournament did not give me the street cred I had hoped for." Ravi said. I rolled my eyes playfully, at the boy. Emma then ran up to us as Ravi walked away.

"Xander just asked me out on a fishing date! We get to spend all day in a canoe together. It'll be so romantic!" Emma gushed out, "So, did you two get a Mr. Right to partner with?"

"We teamed up with Ravi." Lou told her. I nodded. Emma's smile dropped and patted us both on the back.

"I am so sorry." She apologized to us.

......

Ravi, Lou and I were standing in the lake by the camp ground. I was getting my gloves on, getting ready to catch Big Whiskers. Lou was staring at the water, probably planning how to catch him. Ravi was setting everything up.

"Before we begin, will you teach me how to use this fishing rod?" Ravi asked Lou and I. We shared a look before turning to Ravi.

"Absolutely! Here's your first lesson." Lou replied. She took the fishing rod and threw it to me. And I threw it onto shore. "Is the fish supposed to climb on shore and bite the hook? Because that is asking an awful lot." Ravi told us.