ch. 18

Ch.18

Pulled out of a dreamless sleep by the ringing of a telephone, Alexei rolled over carefully, trying not to disturb Laura, and grabbed his blackberry from the night table.

            “Ciao.” He spoke into the phone as he swung his legs over the side of the bed and ran a hand through his hair.

            “Alexei, I have an update for you.”

            “Ta bien.” Alexei responded to Yanes.

            “”One of the guys who jumped you dropped a matchbox at the scene, for a hotel room in the area. After sweet talking a few maids, I found out his name and ran it through our system. His name is Gio Figoretti, now guess where he lives.”

            “Roma.” Alexei said, and Yanes confirmed.

            “Bingo, and guess who he went to university with a few years back? Yeah, Marco Jr.”

            Alexei cursed, getting up and taking the phone call out onto the balcony. As much as he knew it had been Marco who’d put the hit out on him, he didn’t want to admit it at the time, because that meant the same man had been with his Laura, had dated her, could have done something to her. Alexei’s hand tightened on the railing.

            “Bien, then you stay in London, keep an eye on Senior and Junior, while I go to Roma with Bruno and take care of this little shit head. We’ll meet back up with you in London within the week.”

            “You got it boss, but what about laura? You gonna leave her in Madrid?”

            “Non,” Alexei said, more fierce than he’d meant to. “She is safest with me.”

            Yanes didn’t reply at first, then he cleared his throat. “Boss, she’s a really great girl-“

            “Basta.” Alexei barked in the phone before hanging up.

“Leaving? But he only just got here!” Laura protested as Louis packed the toilettes that were lined up on the bathroom sink. Laura was soaking in the tub and Louis was packing their things. She shook her head at Laura’s words.

“Si, si, but signor Giovanni says you are to be leaving here soon.”

Laura sunk further under the hot soothing water. “But he just got in yesterday.”

Louis nodded and left the room. Laura sighed as she lazily shaved her legs. Alexei was not in bed when she woke up, and Laura had been told that he was in very important meetings all morning so she couldn’t talk to him. After a languid breakfast, Laura had gotten in the tub, which was where she was when Louis came to tell her they were leaving Madrid. She wondered where they were going. Hopefully back to London, she was starting to miss those streets. She didn’t dare go back to Italy, her father would probably disown her if he ever saw her again, if he hadn’t already. Maybe she could convince Alexei to let them spend a few days in London before coming back to Madrid. She pondered this as Louis helped her out of the tub and towel dried her hair as Laura dried her body. Louis hurried out of the room so Laura could dress. Wrapping a short robe around herself, Laura walked into the bedroom and to her closet. She opened it, deciding what to wear. The door opened behind her and she spoke without looking.

“I’m glad you’re here, Louis, I can’t decide what to wear. If it’s cold on the plane I’ll need a sweater, maybe pants, but if it’s hot at our destination I’ll just have to take it…” She turned to see Alexei staring at her from across the room. “..off. Oh, ciao.” She said nervously, suddenly self-conscious in her robe.