Chapter 8

Ch. 8

            “Who was that guy you left the party with last night?” Lizzie demanded as soon as Laura answered her phone the next morning at work. Laura sighed and pushed her chair away from the desk.

            “He was, just an old employee of my father’s-“

            “Just an old employee? Laura Amilia Santos, do not even try that on me. The way you were dancing with him, your father was no where in that equation.”

            “We were just dancing!” Laura defended, but Lizzie argued her down.

            “You were doing a lot more than dancing, and everyone could see that.”

            “You’re being ridiculous-“ Laura began, but Lizzie cut her off.

            “You looked like lovers,” She said bluntly. “You both looked ready to rip the others clothes off and make love right there on the dance floor.”

            Laura gasped. “Did we really? Oh god,” She groaned, rubbing her temples.

            “Mmhmm, and Marco wasn’t too happy about it either. He was livid, quite honestly.” Lizzie admitted, and Laura groaned again.

            “Oh god, I completely forgot about Marco!”

            “Forgot? Laura, how could you forget about your boyfriend of seven months? You guys are practically engaged!”

            “We are not,” Laura said, wrinkling her brow. “We haven’t agreed to anything, nor have we even talked about it.”

            “Well, in the eyes of society, you two are as good as hitched. And now you’re out with this guy, what’s his name?”

            “Alexi Giovanni,” Laura said, rubbing her eyes now. Lizzie was right, she’d behaved disgustingly, and had probably embarrassed Marco to no avail.

            “Yes, this Giovanni guy.” Lizzie was silent for a moment. “Now that I’ve gotten the rational argument out of the way, that man is yummy, why in the hell have you been hiding him from me?” She demanded.

            “I haven’t been hiding him! I haven’t seen him in years.” Laura admitted. “He used to work for my dad but one day he just….quit.”

            “Hmm, do you know why he quit?” Lizzie probed.

            “I have a pretty good idea.” Laura mused. There was a knock on the door and Laura looked up to see Becca, a girl who worked in the office with her who had only just started, standing there. She’d only been at her job for a little less than a year, but Laura was having the time of her life studying and working with architecture. One more year and she’d have her masters, then she could open her own agency and make the most gorgeous buildings in the world.

            “Sorry, but there’s someone at the front for you.” Becca said apologetically, and Laura looked at her watch. It was already a quarter to one, and she quickly got off the phone with Lizzie, promising to call her later, and wondering who was there for her. It was probably Marco, and Laura sighed, knowing she would have to face him eventually. With a look at the small in office mirror, Laura ran a hand over her white dress pants and slipped her feet back into their flats. Smoothing the light blue, green, and purple small printed floral camisole, Laura hurried to the front, her stomach in knots.