27- Broken Competition

Chapter Twenty Seven:

Broken Competition:

~Danielle~

My competition is in two days. I’m more nervous than I’ve ever been for a competition.

“You’ll do great,” Melinda said stopping the music. Our hour was up now. The first two practices had only been a half hour. After that I had a practice twice a week, for an hour at a time. As soon as I felt even the slightest bit on the bad side, Ryan would force me to sit down until I was a hundred percent better.

Ryan had come to all of my practices. He had also kept paying for my lessons even though I told him that I could pay for them with my money. It wasn’t like I was going to be needing my money in the future.

I was in my dad’s truck on the way to somewhere. Ryan said he was taking me out for a ‘Pre-Competition Celebratory Dinner’. But he had been jumpy all week. Something was up; I just didn’t know what it was.

“Just call me when you need to be picked up,” Dad said more to Ryan than to me as he pulled into the parking lot at Rocky Point.

“Will do Greg, come on Danielle,” Ryan took my hand and pulled me out of the truck.

“Ryan…” I said. I had an idea why we were here, but I wasn’t sure. I had told Ryan that I didn’t want him spending money on me.

“Shh. Please just let me have this,” Ryan said leading me along the paths that I knew well. We had always come up here as a mini vacation for a day. It was far enough for home that it was a drive, but not long enough that we were driving for hours. And it was right on the water which made it feel like paradise.

“I don’t-” Ryan kissed me to stop me.

“Please?” I sighed. Ryan smiled and we continued along the path.

Just like I thought, our destination was the Boat House, a restaurant right by the water.

We entered the restaurant and Ryan had a reservation so we were seated immediately.

“So what’s the occasion?” I asked when I couldn’t stand it any longer. I put down my menu and rested my head on my hands.

“Can I not take my girlfriend out for a nice dinner without it being questioned?” He asked innocently.

“To Timmy’s yes, but not to the freaking Boat House. Tell me, what’s up?”

“Don’t hate me,” Ryan started. Uh, oh. That’s never good. What did he do now? “But I uh…” He reached into his pocket and pulled out an envelope. Good, at least it wasn’t a ring. He slid it across the table to me.

“Should I be scared?” I asked feeling the envelope. It was definitely thicker than one piece of paper.

“Just remember I love you okay?” Ryan asked clearly nervous. Now I was really scared.

I opened the envelope slowly, I had no clue what to expect. Ryan squeezed my knee under the table.

“Oh my god,” I breathed. I pulled out the plane tickets. Plane tickets.

“I know you didn’t want me spending money on you, but it was too good an opportunity to pass up. Your parents helped me pay for it, and my dad, and even my mom put in a hundred or so. We all just want you happy.”

I scanned over all the forms for various things. “Brazil, Egypt, Greece, Australia, China… Wow, Ryan.”

“I didn’t know where you wanted to go most, so I chose those places because they were the cheapest,” Ryan explained.