Chapter 2

God this lesson is boring, I thought.

I was listening to Mrs Rodriguez drone on in a language I was always going to be pathetic at.

She was desperately trying to engage the class, who like me had their minds elsewhere.

In three days we’d all graduate from High School; setting off on our different adventures. I’d have a holiday at home before I set off for Venice, Florence, Rome, London- everywhere that was anywhere.

I sigh happily, picturing myself in a small sidewalk cafe, eating a croissant in Paris- checking out the gorgeous French boys.

“Senorita? Comprende?”

Mrs Rodriguez’s voice broke me out of my day-dream, and I was horrified to see the question was directed at me.

“Um, si!” I answered back, trying to sound confident.

I watched some people in my class, smiling knowingly at me. They knew, that just like them, I had no idea what had been said before this exact moment.

Mrs Rodriguez sighed, “Stephanie-”

“Stevie”

She sighed again, “Stevie, what did I just ask you?”

Crap, I thought.

I looked wildly around me, hoping for help.

But Andy wasn’t in this class to mouth the answer at me, and my classmates looked as blank as me.

My eyes landed on the clock.

One minute until the bell.

I cleared my throat.

“Well Mrs Rodriguez, the question you asked me was an interesting one... One that requires alot of thought before answering. So you can understand why I don't answer right away.”

“I’m asking for the question, not the answer Stephanie.”

Shit.

“Ah... well... you see...” My eyes flicked back to the clock.

20 seconds.

“Mrs Rodriguez can I just say how lovely you look today-”

“Stephanie stop going off the topic. What did I ask you?”

This woman knows me too well, I thought. Other people in my class were holding back giggles now- enjoying the Evans-Rodriguez show. I wish I could report otherwise, but this seemed to be a regular occurrence.

I checked the clock. 7 seconds!

“Ah, well, you asked me-”

Brrrrriiiinnnnnngggggg

“No time now Ma’am, terribly sorry. Got to get to my next class! Byyyyeeee”

I flung my bag over my shoulder and half ran out the door, followed by everyone else.

“Stevie, your next ‘class’ is lunch. You know that right?” Asked a girl from the class, Amy.

I grinned at her, “yes, best class of the day! Definitely not one I want to be late for.”

Amy laughed and I joined her in walking to the cafeteria.

*

I sat down at Andy and my usual table- satisfied that I had escaped Spanish alive and that I could actually identify today’s food.

The eight usual people at the table were already there. They weren’t really my friends, just friendly acquaintances. I’m not popular; I know so and don’t care. People like me well enough and most know my name. I’m not often outright ignored, partially because I am too loud. People just don’t want to be friends with me because no-one wants to be associated with of the girl who pisses off the football team daily, and has a ‘geek’ as a best friend.