Chapter 12

I got to the diner right at 4 and began taking orders. Today I was working behind the counter, while Jessica was working the booths with a couple others.

    I had been working for about an two hours when Noah walked in with Shania. They were holding hands and looking like they were two kids totally in love, grinning at each other. They came in glancing over at the counter and smiled at me. Shania waved at me and lead Noah over to me.

    "Well hello to the happy couple," I said grinning at them, "What can I get you guys?"

    Shania smiled at me. "I would like a deluxe burger meal, without onions or pickles and a Chocolate shake as my drink."

    I wrote down what she had said and then turned my attention to Noah. "And for you?"

   "I want a super deluxe burger meal, the one that includes bacon and a strawberry and banana smoothie."

   I smiled. "You both sound hungry but I'll put in the orders for you," I said heartily as I turned towards the order window.

  When I came back Noah was gone and Shania sat at the counter.

   "Hey," I said as I walked back to her, "Where'd Noah go?"

   She smiled. "He went to the bathroom."

   I nodded. "Oh."

   I turned to attend to another customer asking for a refill.

   "Brielle," she said as I turned away, I stopped and faced her.

   "Yeah."

   "Thank you," she said looking at her hands, "I think I already said this but thank you so much. You brought us back together and I've never been happier...we've never been happier."

   I smiled. "You're welcome. I would want someone to do the same if it were me and Levi."

   She smiled softly at me. "And that I'm sure, wouldn't need to happen."

   I cocked my head, "Why is that?"

   She smiled. "Don't tell Noah I said this but, you and Levi are stronger than we were. We didn't have twelve years of friendship under our belt we only had four. Levi loves you and I think he always had. It just took twelve years in the making. It's hard to break, something that's been growing for so long, up. So I think the fact that you both are even still together shows your strength."

    "Can I get a refill," someone at the bar counter said loudly.

    I turned towards the voice then back at Shania and smiled softly before going off.

    When I got home that night my mom was just turning off the tv and was walking out of the living room with my dad sleepily walking ahead of her.

    "Hey sweetie you wanna watch the game with me?" he asked me half asleep.

    "Oh no you don't," my mom said patting his back and turning him towards the stairs, "Up you go honey."

    "Babe--" my dad began but was interrupted by my mom.

    "Don't babe me. Up the stairs Elijah, I'll be in soon hon."

    I smiled as my dad took a heavy breath and went up the stairs to their room.

    "How do you do it?"

    She smiled at me. "Honey one day you will know exactly what to do with your husband. We women are born with it. Some of us use it, others don't and some only use it to it's half potential."