Bear Necessities

Harry should have known from the moment Natalie McDonald dropped three Galleons onto his desk that he was in serious trouble.

"What's this?" he asked the PA.

She shrugged, bouncing unruly auburn curls that would have given Hermione Granger a run for her money. "The wager I owe you," she said nonchalantly, perching on the other side of his desk.

He blinked, his blood running cold. "That was six months ago," he said slowly.

"I thought you'd appreciate it?" she said, picking up one of the pencils Harry kept in a pot for when quills got too irritating, and twirled it deftly between her fingers.

"Nat," Harry said, a warning tone creeping into his voice. "The last time you owed me money, I had to physically wring it out of you."

She tapped the pencil nervously, and glanced over at the empty desk the other side of the office. If Harry hadn't been apprehensive before, he certainly was now.

"I just," she said, eyes on her hand fluttering the pencil. "Thought you might like to be paid your dues. You know. Before you kill me."

"McDonald," Harry growled, all pretence of niceties dropped. "You better not-"

"I'm here to tell you Robards wants you in his office and he has a case and he's super stressed and I'm pretty certain his wife just sent him a howler," Natalie garbled all at once. Harry though was too horror-struck to take in all the information. His brain had got caught on the word case.

"No!" he whined, shoving his hands into his hair. "No Nat, it's four o'clock, I was so close! I was really going to do it this time!"

"I know!" she cried, genuine dismay on her face. "Harry I know, I tried to fob it off on Nott and Boot, but he requested you two by name and..."

She pouted as Harry dropped his head onto the desk with a loud thud. "The universe hates me," he bemoaned into the wood.

She patted his head. "Look at this way," said his younger colleague brightly. "You'll still be spending the evening together! It just won't be at the pub."

"My life is so stupid," Harry grumbled with a few noises at the back of his throat that wouldn't have been out of place from a disgruntled toddler. "This is exactly like the last seven times I've tried to do this."

Natalie tapped his head, causing him to look up at her apologetic grimace. "Look, Harry," she said frankly. "I know your friends are probably too chicken to say this, but my debt is paid to you now." She nodded solemnly and pushed the three gold coins towards him. "And, the truth is – well there are plenty of times you could have asked, I think you just let excuses get in your way."

Harry scowled at her. "You know I defeated Voldemort. Several times."

"Yes," she sighed. "And yet the prospect of simple date has reduced you to the Boy Who Is Always Single."

Harry opened his mouth to protest, then realised he had nothing to go on. "I'm am such a loser."

The appearance of a tall, blond figure suddenly hanging on the doorframe caught his immediate attention, and Natalie snapped her head around too. "Oh good Potter," Draco Malfoy said, a little breathless. "You're here. Robards wants us in his office."

Harry's shoulders slumped in defeat, and he glanced at Nat. "I heard," he said flatly. "I'll be there in just a sec."

Draco nodded once, his brow creased in irritation. "Alright, well, don't dawdle. It's bad enough we caught this at the end of the day, I've heard he's already pissed off."