Chapter Fifteen - DECISIONS

As soon as they hadstopped, the nidepoux lay down on their flanks so fast that Xuven hadto grab the malian's legs and then swiftly pull her away in orderto lay her down. Robust and vigorous as the beasts were—and theyhad shown astonishing stamina while crossing the Steppes—they werenot used to being ridden, and fear had sapped their strength. Theirhearts were pounding so fast that Pelmen feared that they might diewithout further delay. Setting his own exhaustion aside, he tried torub them down. The earthenware bowl that served to water them,carefully wrapped in cloth, had survived their misadventure. Hefilled it and set it before their muzzles before satisfying his ownthirst.

Xuven had knelt downbeside Ezechian-Uzeve's apprentice. A vaguely familiar bittersweetodor emanated from the pot in his hand. With the other hand, hesmeared the places where the marks of strangulation were displayed.

"TheHealing Salve should take effect rapidly," he said, looking up athis nephew.

"Whatare we going to do with her?"

Xuven stood up todraw Pelmen aside. "She might be Ezechian-Uzeve's accomplice aswell as his victim," he said, lowering his voice. "In eithercase, she represents a danger if we let her go. If she's stillcommitted to those on the cart, she'll try to warn them, in whichcase the peril is immense. If she isn't, and chooses to return toBelenia, she might talk about her adventure and reveal our presenceto enemy ears."

"Wesaved her life, though."

Xuven dismissedPelmen's argument with a wave of his hand. "Her reappearance backthere wouldn't help us, unless..."

"Unless...?"

"Unlesswe can convince her to accompany us until the end of our mission, andthen take her evidence to the Hortal when the moment comes. She'sonly a mil'ser,and her word won't carry much weight among her fellows, but if wecorroborate what she says, perhaps it will be taken intoconsideration."

"Howwill you do that?" Pelmen asked.

"We'llsimply explain the situation to her. Oh, don't fool yourself—you'llhave to watch her most of the time."

Pelmen rolled hiseyes. Xuven didn't seem to notice.

"Ihope that we won't have to take extreme measures. Above all, it'simportant to find out which camp she's in—although I have mysuspicions about that."

With that, Xuventurned around and went back to the malian. She was sleepingpeacefully. Seeing her in that state, Pelmen yawned.

"Sheneeds sleep," said Xuven. "I'd pref..."

"Look!"said Pelmen. He crouched down and extended his arm toward an oblongform that was discernible beneath the apprentice's trousers.Ignoring Xuven's frown, he slid his hand inside. With a triumphantsmile, he brandished his prize, which reflected the rays of Astar,accenting them with a golden gleam.

"Amberrock,"murmured Xuven.

"Whichmeans," said Pelmen, jubilantly, "that she was only persuadedrecently to undertake this journey. If not, she'd have bought newclothes a long time ago. You can see how threadbare her trousersare."

"True.After her passage through the Pool of Bliss, Ezechian-Uzeve took herto the AmberrockPalace.I couldn't follow them inside, of course, but that's doubtlesswhen the bargain was offered to her."

Pelmen's eyelidsfluttered. When he replaced the amberrock, he nearly collapsed on topof the apprentice.

"Youcan hardly stand up," said Xuven. "Rest—I'll take the firstshift on watch."