Chapter Seven - THE AUDIENCE

Pelmen regained consciousness feeling like a band of musicians had used his head for a drum, pounding away incessantly. His temples, his chin, one of his cheekbones and the back of his skull had all sustained injuries, and were incredibly painful. Touching a nostril, he felt clotted blood. His fingers moved along the ridge of his nose... it wasn't broken. His tongue explored the contours of his teeth—there was still a taste of blood—and again, Pelmen thought he was fortunate none had been dislodged. The swelling of his contusions, on the other hand, must have rendered him unrecognizable.

The bright light of Astar was entering through an abnormally large window. Another anomaly: Pelmen was not lying on his usual pallet but in a comfortable bed—Xuven's.

A fleeting smile brightened his uncle's face when Pelmen turned to look at him.

"How... how long?" he murmured, in spite of his bruised lips.

"You were unconscious all night, my boy."

"All night...! The... the tournament..." Pelmen tried to hoist himself up with his forearms, but his strength failed him and he collapsed again onto his back.

"Drink this." Xuven handed him a goblet a third full of thick liquid resembling milk.

"What is it?"

"Drink it! It's a remedy to hasten your recovery."

Too weak to argue, Pelmen obeyed. The liquid had a heady taste. "The tournament," he repeated. However, he was soon overwhelmed by waves of exhaustion.

"It's too late for the tournament," murmured Xuven while Pelmen's heavy eyelids closed again.

When he awoke later in the day, Pelmen had recovered sufficient strength to get up and go to the kitchen to eat something in his uncle's company. He did so diligently, while gathering and organizing his thoughts.

"It was you who found me yesterday?"

"You were lucky. In the future, when I tell you to do something, you must obey me, or find another master."

"I couldn't stay here with my arms folded. It was impossible."

Xuven sighed, but his tone softened. "You have to learn to trust me and listen to me, my lad. If not, it's not going to work out between us."

"I'll try," Pelmen said. He studied his uncle with his gaze. "So, you just happened to be passing the place where you found me?"

"I knew you'd go to that sector again, because that was where you went the last time you saw your friend. When I found the shop closed in the evening and you were nowhere to be seen, I figured out immediately what you were doing and it seemed prudent to make sure that you hadn't got into trouble. I know the reputation of the three taverns. Luck did the rest."

"The people who attacked me... they were still there when you arrived?"

"They'd left you for dead. I had to hire a cart to bring you back."

"I'm sorry. I guess you could say I've caused you a great deal of trouble."

"Less than you might think. What have you learned?"

"Teleg talked to someone after my last meeting with him, on the night he vanished: a merchant."

"The one named Komel?"

"The hevelen who gave me the information didn't want to say any more. He fled. I was trying to catch him when I was attacked. But I hope to be able to find him again..."

Xuven raised a hand to silence him. "You won't find him. I've already warned you not to underestimate the people organizing these disappearances."

"Yes but..."