They Always Pay the Price

“Si’s in heels?” Kris asked yelling across the locker-room.

“I’ll pay a hundred bucks to watch her walk up and down the stairs once!” Jordan replied laughing.

“Shutup, both of you.” I said smiling. Everyone knew I was horrible in heels but I could walk, it was just slow.

“I’d pay 200.” Max said pulling me in closer to him.

Smiling I wrapped my arms around him and gave him a hug.

“Oh so he gets a hug when he says that but we get told to shutup. I got you Si, I got you.” Jordan said pointing at me.

“Oh come here.” I said laughing and extending my arms to both Jordan and Kris. They both chuckled but gave me a hug. I then looked around the room and saw Marc staring at me. As soon as our eyes met he looked away. Swinging his hair over his eyes in the process.

Sighing I looked away from him and his pitiful look. I would keep a mental note to try to stay away from Max as best as I could while Marc was around.

“How you liking Philly Talbo?” Marc asked still looking at his skates.

“It’s still Philly but it’s not like I can exactly go around saying I hate it. I think I’d get kicked off the team in a heartbeat.” he said smiling.

Marc never replied to Max instead he just nodded and walked away. “What’s his problem?” Max asked whispering into my ear.

Looking up at Max I grimaced and said “Pretty sure it’s me.”

“Damn it.” I heard Max grumble. “He’s not going to play like Flower at all if he’s upset.” he said looking at me expectantly.

“No what if I make it worse?” I said not wanting to talk to him in fear of completely screwing up.

“You won’t I promise now please go talk to him.” Max said giving me a slight push.

Sighing I headed down the hallway with my heels clacking against the tile floors. I looked in every room as I past but only saw offices filled with desks, papers, and pictures or rooms filled with equipment and training supplies.

Groaning I turned the corner and yelled out “Marc get your butt over here I need to talk to you!”

When I got no answer I got pissed and bent down taking off my heels. Once they were off I began a steady jog down the hallway.

“Damn this extravagantly big arena.” I said turning another corner. I eventually found Marc in the lounge they had. Breathing in deeply to regain my breath I walked in and let my shoes fall from my hands and onto the floor with a thump.

“You can’t do this.” I said sitting down next to him.

“Don’t know what you’re talking about.” he said still not looking at me.

“Marc come on, you can’t act like it’s my fault I love Max otherwise I would do anything to be with you. You’ll find someone way more deserving of you than me who will love you for you. But you can’t keep avoiding me and acting like we were never friends.” I said painfully.

I really did love Marc but it was different with Max. “Marc please?” I begged feeling my eyes watering.

Sighing Marc slouched in his seat and put his head in his hands.

“No don’t do that.” I said tugging on his hands and trying to pull him up. Eventually he stood up and I made him look at me.

“I really am sorry and I do love you but me and Max, well we have something different than anything else but I don’t want you to avoid me I want to be friends with you I couldn’t stand myself if I let me hurt you and lose you. As I said before someone will come and you’ll be extremely happy you didn’t make the mistake of going out with boring old me.” I said smiling at the last part because Marc had finally grinned.