The Game

It was mid October in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania which had been my birthplace and my home for 22 years. Some people ask me why I haven’t moved yet I just answer that I like it here, and it’s the truth. Pittsburgh is peaceful and actually relaxing when you know your way around the town. I could hear the wind and light snow outside as I was reading my book I had just gotten when I heard a knock on the door of my new house.  

“Who in the world could that be?” I mumbled under my breath, I had just moved in and only my parents and a few of my closest friends knew where I lived next to that it was 12:40 a.m. shoving myself from my chair and warm blanket I went to get the door and decided I better check who it was before opening it.

I looked out to find one of my best friends Jordan Staal; he is and always has been like my brother only more understanding. When I was younger I had always wanted a brother, I was an only child. Jordan looked like a wreck. I opened the door for him and he could barely get a slurred “Hi Sierra” out before he started to sway. I quickly pulled him in and helped him to the couch.

“Jordan what’s wrong you never do this before a big game?” I asked. “It’s my mom, she’s in the hospital with cancer and I didn’t know what to do.” Jordan replied.

“Oh my god I’m so sorry, you could have called me, you know I would have helped you Jordan” I told him.

“I know but you have had so much stuff going on and I wasn’t really all there when I heard the news, I just left Max’s party without an explanation.”

“I’m sorry is there anything I can do for you? I have medicine, food, water, and a place to sleep they are all welcome to you.”

“Thanks Sierra but I just need someone to talk to I’ll be leaving soon.”

“Jordan if you think I’m going to let you drive back home you’re stupid! You are not going to be able to safely drive a car, stay here over night and you can leave in the morning.”

“Ok, thanks are you sure it’s not any trouble?”

“Yes Jordan, I’m sure I have four rooms in this place, it can get kind of lonely here.” “Ok” he replied obviously sleepy. “One last question before I show you your room.” I told Jordan.

“Ok what is it?”

“What are you going to do about tomorrow’s game against the Capitals?” I asked curiously.

“Ahh crap I haven’t even thought about that, hopefully I won’t have to bad of a headache.”

“Well you shouldn’t you’re talking better and I can give you ibuprofen in the morning if you would like?” I told him.

“Ya that would be nice thanks again Sierra.”

“No problem now come on your room is just down the hall and mine is directly across from it and the bathroom is to the left of your room if you need it.” “Oh and there is medicine in the cabinet, in the bathroom if you need any during the night.” I said. “Thanks.” he said.

As I walked away I turned around and asked Jordan if he needed to be woke up at a certain time he told me that he did and asked if I could set an alarm for 10:00. I said yes and went to my room set the alarm, changed into my pj’s, and slipped into bed. I didn’t have any dreams that night besides Jordan scoring 3 goals against the Capitals tomorrow.

I woke to the sudden beeping of the alarm clock. As I went to turn it off Jordan came flying into the room and bounced on my bed, ruffled my hair and told me to get up.