Chapter 5 - The Choices We Make

Samyaza strolled through heaven's central square and through the throngs of hundreds of thousands of angels coming, going and greeting one another. 

"Azazel!" Samyaza shouted loudly.  

"Samyaza my friend. How are you?" Azazel said as he turned and hurriedly rushed to greet his friend. 

"I don't have much time before I have to return to earth Azazel. I heard about what happened down there. What is going on with you?"  

"We need to talk. When are you free?" Samyaza replied with a stern look on his face. 

"Well, we are all very busy now. Rumor is, something serious is about to happen." 

"We are always busy brother. We really need to talk. This is a serious matter."  

Azazel's saw the concern in his friend's face. "Okay brother. I'll meet you on your watch tonight." 

"No!" Samyaza said so loudly that several other angels turned around. "I need to speak to you alone. Meet me in the North Country where men have not gone yet. I will be atop the mountain my favorite mountain at midnight" 

"I know your place my friend. I will see you there tonight. Can you give me a hint of what is on your mind?" 

"Later my friend. All I can say now is that there are things which need to change. Things will change."

Azazel saw about a dozen other angels staring at them and whispering. He grabbed Samyaza's left arm and gave him a nod to follow. They walked about a block down a glistening gold street and came to a stop inside a beautifully adorned park. Several angels who were just behind the gate trimming roses turned and welcomed them as they entered. The park smelled of red roses, cherry blossoms and apricots. The soft bellow of music in the distance helped to put Samyaza at ease. He reached up and grabbed several apricots from a nearby tree and handed one to Azazel before sitting down on a gold bench intricately decorated with pearls and red rubies. A warm sensation swirled about his thighs and waist, and then slowly began moving up his back and shoulders.  

"Ahh" he softly moaned as he leaned back and enjoyed the serene atmosphere. 

Samyaza watched a family of five white ducks walk in front of them and then down into a small pond twenty feet away from them. His thoughts turned to what it must be like to have a family. 

"It's good to be home again isn't it brother" Azazel said, interrupting his thoughts. 

"Definitely." 

Samyaza's bit into the apricot and felt an incredibly pleasant sensation. With each bite, more pleasant sensations began to ripple through his body. He closed his eyes to savor each one. It had been a while since he had tasted fruit. 

"How long was your watch this time?" Azazel interrupted again. 

"One week. One long week. Unlike here, life moves slowly there. All day, we watch we wait. Frankly, it's beginning to take a toll on me." 

"I understand brother. I can't say that I am as optimistic as others. Who knows? Everything will probably work out. Why don't you take some time off brother? Apply for a reassignment and let someone else fill in for a while." 

"I can't do that. Especially not at this time. The person that I'm watching needs my help. Her husband is going to kill her. I need to keep watching and reporting. I hoping that I'll get permission to help her." 

"If she dies, then you will have a break soon." 

"Azazel!" Samyaza's replied harshly. 

"What? You are taking this too personal Samyaza. She made a choice to marry him. It's her choice to leave, stay or ask for God's help. Remember your duty. We watch and protect. Don't get involved Samyaza. I thought you would have learned that by now."