Chapter Twenty: Departure

When Papa had calmed down, I sat with him and explained all of my travels. Though he grimaced at certain parts, my time with Lyn and Abraham and the night I’d pulled the vine from my skin, he hugged me tightly and kissed me on my head.

I tucked into him, wrapping my arms around him. When we separated, I resumed my usual routine and set off to do my chores. I beat out the rugs, washed any dishes left, and even warmed a tub to wash the laundry in. After hanging it outside, I grabbed a book, one that I’d yet to start, and read while I waited.

Though usually Papa might have teased me for so readily doing the laundry, or scolded me for reading, he said nothing. His routine progressed normally.

Even aware of the sun sinking into the trees across the road, I didn’t realize the hour until Papa called me in for supper. Once I collected the laundry, I scuffled inside to eat. I dropped the basket in the kitchen and sat beside Papa at a table.

Professor Lester sat across from us. We ate in near silence. My occasional compliment of the meal and the professor’s concurring comments were the only noises heard. As we each finished, we quietly dismissed ourselves. Without even an offer, I piled all of the dishes in my hands and settled in the kitchen.

When I had immersed my hands in the sink, lathering dishes, Papa entered the kitchen. He leaned in the doorway. “I’m no fool, you know.”

I stopped and furrowed my brow. “I never said you were.”

“I know you’re leaving again.” As I opened my mouth to object, Papa stopped me. “Just be safe. I can’t lose you again.”

I heaved a sigh. “I wouldn’t if I didn’t have to. It’s my mother. For possibly the first time ever, she needs me. Poseidon…he’s hurting her, and it’s my fault.”

Papa shook his head and spun me by my shoulders toward him. “Jenny, you can do whatever you need to, but whatever has, or will, happen to Athena is not your fault.”

My guilt chewed away his words, rendering them useless. I nodded. “I don’t want to leave home again.” I wiped my hands on my dress.

“I know, sweet, but you’re so brave. Not many people would risk their own life for someone who’s hurt them the way she hurt you.” He referred to the week after her departure in the winter when I’d crawled into my books and barely spoken a word to anyone in a futile effort to avoid crying myself to sleep.

“She has, but nothing unforgivable. She’s done more than her share of good. I owe her this.” My eyes met Papa’s, the grey color holding hints of sadness.

More evident was the pride in his voice when he spoke to me. “I’ve never seen you so determined. I suppose you really are a woman now.” He clapped my shoulder and kissed the top of my head. “You’ll not go unprepared.” From his pocket, Papa pulled out a leather coin pouch.

“Papa, I’ve my own money, you know.” I tried to hand it back to him, but he curled my fingers around it.

He sighed and hesitated. Before I could question him, he said, “No, you’re not to spend your money until you’re at the university.”

 I choked up a response. “What?”

“No matter the cost, I’ll send you to the university. I want you to study, to be happy. You’re too bright for this inn. You always have been. And I was far too selfish to admit it until I almost lost you. I want the best for you, and trapping you here isn’t that.”

I shook my head. “Papa, I’m not trapped here. This is my home.” I didn’t mention the possibility of not coming home, of dying. I changed the subject away from the university. “My plan is to contact Persephone through Morpheus, so if I’m not in bed in the morning, I managed to figure something out.” I yawned.