Chapter 17

"Alright  Cassandra, this is enough....for now. But I am a man that always gets what I want, and you my  dear, are at the top of my list."

Alexander's words kept repeating in Cassandras head. He wanted her! This made her both giddy and terrified. It was obvious that there was a connection between them, she was sure that she felt it more than him, but a connection nonetheless.  Last nights dinner hadn't been as magical as she had hoped but at this point she knew not to expect declarations of love and sonnets from her husband.

She laughed at the thought of Alexander reciting a sonnet to her on bended knees as she rose from her bed. Getting dressed into a simple day gown she opened her door to head down to breakfast.  Standing outside of her door was one of Alexander's men. "Hello, you must be the one assigned to guard me." she said.

"Yes." the guard answered shortly.

"Hm, well I apologize in advance, I'm a terribly boring person."

The guards only reply was a low grunt. Figuring that he was not much of a conversationalist Cassandra continued on her way to breakfast trying to ignore the man who now had to follow her. Upon entering the dining room she saw Thomas. "Good  morning sister." he said in his usual chipper voice.

"Hello brother, how are you this beautiful morning." she asked with a smile on her face.

"The real question is how are you? How was last nights dinner? Judging by the smile on your face I would dare say that it ended pleasantly." he said with a smirk that made him look like his elder brother.

Feeling her face flush she went to reply but before she could get a word out they were interrupted. "It would do you some good to mind your own business." Alexander said gruffly walking into sight causing both of them to jump.  For the life of her Cassandra couldn't understand how such a big imposing man could move about so quietly.

"My apologies, Alex." Thomas answered sheepishly before continuing to eat his breakfast.

Without giving her a greeting or a second glance Alex walked over to his chair and sat down with a stack of papers. After being served his plate he unfolded the first paper and began reading with an agitated look on his face.  After waiting a moment for her husband to greet her she took the initiative. "Good morning Alex." she said with a smile.

Absentmindedly he grunted in reply. Sighing she thought, 'I guess its going to be one of those days again.' It seemed that Alex only had so much kindness that he would share, then he would go right back to his usual brooding and rudeness. No longer being in a cheerful  mood she finished her breakfast and got up quietly.

"What will you be doing today, Cassandra?" Alex asked, finally glancing up from his papers.  Thinking that maybe he wanted to spend some time with her that evening she quickly answered that she had no particular plans. "Make sure you keep your guard close." was his only reply.

Standing there a moment more Cassandra waited for him to say something else, but he effectively dismissed her by going back to his papers. Sighing Cassandra turned and headed back to her chambers, now agitated that Alexander was continuously hot and cold with her.

ALEXANDERS POV

"You know, if you are trying to win Cassandra over you are doing it wrong." he heard his brother say.

Placing the paper he was down he narrowed his eyes at his brother. "What are you yammering on about now?"

"It was obvious Cassandra was hoping for much more conversation than you gave her." Thomas replied back, unaffected by the look Alex was giving him.

"Since when have you become the spokesperson for what Cassandra  wants?" he asked now becoming agitated. He had spoken to Cassandra, hadn't he? He was so distracted this morning that he hadn't realized he had been short with his wife. A lot was going on and although he was trying to make his wife happier it seemed as if he was failing. He had promised his mother after all. It did seem that his little wife was growing on him. He had no feeling for her except for the lust he felt  but her company was now becoming tolerable. She even had tried to be funny.  the night before.  She still didn't trust him enough though. Last night he had every intention of taking her. It had been all that he had thought about that day aside from the trouble that the conniving William Basset was causing him. When she had asked him to stop he had nearly growled in frustration. Never in his life had he had to work so hard to get a women into his bed, and she was his wife! Women had been nothing but a means to an end for him, but thanks to the king he had been  strapped down to one of them and now he had to attempt to treat her carefully.

"It's pretty obvious what she wanted. It doesn't take a genius to see that." Thomas replied, breaking Alexander's thoughts.

"As I've said before it is none of your business what goes on between me and Cassandra. It would be wise for you to keep your thoughts to yourself. And it is increasingly annoying that every time I walk into a room you are there with her."

"If I didn't know any better I would say that you were jealous." Thomas said with a wide smile.

Barking a laugh Alex replied, "Don't fool yourself, Thomas,  this is not jealousy, but you are playing with fire, watch yourself." 

It seemed that Thomas got the point. The smile disappeared from his face and his only answer was a nod. Good, Alex thought.  Alex refused to be disobeyed, even by his brother.

"Any more news on Williams spies whereabouts?" Thomas asked changing the subject.

"None," Alex answered, 'it seems he realized that we were on to him and all but disappeared last night. I want you to find."

Nodding, Thomas stood up from his chair and headed for the door.

"Oh and Thomas, When you  find him get as much information out of him as you can. By any means...and then kill him. Make it a message to William that he won't win this battle."

Thomas's eyes narrowed and a glint went through them so quickly that Alex almost missed it. Smiling to himself he knew that Thomas would get the job done. Thomas seemed as if he was the happy, spirited brother, but he was Alex's secret weapon. Thomas could be just as deadly if not deadlier than Alex himself. He had a dark side that not many knew about, a very dark side, and he was counting on that dark side to get him some answers.