Chapter 16

Cassandra was ready for dinner. She had been ready for the past hour. She was both excited and nervous. As she was getting ready she came to the realization that she cared for Alexander. He was the most nerve-wracking man but between all the arguments they had she had developed feeling for him. She didn't love him but she knew that there was a possibility that she would in the future, which scared her.

Alexander had made it clear that he saw her as nothing but an obligation. An ends to a means. Before it had angered her but now it hurt. She didn't want him to look at her that way. But why had he kissed her? She had a small sliver of hope that he may be starting to care for her but she didn't want to get her hopes up. It was too good to be true.

Seeing that it was soon time for dinner she got up from her seat and made her way down to the dinning hall. When the doorman opened the door she saw that Alexander was not there yet. Walking over to the beautifully decorated table she took a seat and waited. After about 15 minutes Alexander walked throught the doors.

"You're late." Cassandra said jokingly.

He  walked swiftly over to his chair across from her and sat down. "Im sorry, Cassandra, I got held up and lost track of time. Shall we begin eating?" he suggested.

"I was only teasing you. I know that you are busy. Yes, let's eat. The food should still be warm." she replied.

 Alexander nodded his head in answer and took the silver lids off of their plates. The food was delicious as usual and Cassandra tucked into it. She waited for Alexander to say something but he just stared into his food. 

"How has your day been." She asked, deciding it was up to her to start a conversation. 

"It was fine." Alexander answered absent-minded. 

Cassandra attempted to keep the conversation going throughout dinner but Alexander would only give her short answers or nonchalant shrugs.

"If you did not want to have dinner with me then why did you ask me in the first place." Cassandra asked after becoming annoyed at his attitude.

Her words seemed to snap him out of whatever trance he was in. "I'm sorry Cassandra.  I had looked forward to this dinner all day and I seem to be ruining it. I'm horrible company at the moment. "

"Is something the matter?" She asked. She knew Alex enough to know that he wasn't a man of many words, but tonight  it seemed as if he could barely focus enough to form a coherent sentence.

"It is nothing that you need to worry about."

"You know that you can talk to me about whatever is troubling you. After all isn't that one of the duties of a wife? To listen to her husband's woes." She said teasingly, trying to lighten the mood.

Alexander gave her a thoughtful look before asking, "Are you done eating?"

"Yes."

"Good, come sit with me over on the lounge." He said while standing up and offering his hand.

She immediately took it and followed him to the lounge chair over by the fire. Once seated he turned towards her and spoke. "Over the past couple days it seems that a lot of my livestock has been killed."

Cassandra raised her eyebrow at him. He was upset about a few livestock dying?  He was an extremely wealthy man, surely he could replace them. "It's common for wolves to attack animals, did you check the gates to see were they could be getting in at?" She asked.

Laughing Alexander shook his head. "Last time I checked wolves didn't slice an animals throat and leave it there. It is not wolves."

This peaked Cassandra's interested.  If the sheep's throats were being cut it had to be by humans, but who would do such a thing? "Who would do that? She asked voicing her thoughts.

"I have an idea who might be. His name is William Basset. He is Duke and another one of the kings favorites. He's almost just as powerful as I am. I believe he is having some of his men commit these acts out against me."

"Why would he do such a thing?" Cassandra asked.

"Because I killed his brother. His brother was a traitor. The king  enlisted me to hunt him down. When I found him he put up a fight and it lead to his death, there was nothing that could be done about it. He was going to be put to death for treason regardless but William always blamed me for it, even though I was just following my kings orders. The king covered up what had happened and kept it from going public, as I've said William is one of his favorites so he protected him from the scrutiny that his brother could have caused him. William told me that I would pay for what I had done and it seems like he is starting his revenge."

"Why does he want revenge now?  Killing a couple livestock doesnt seem like much of a revenge. Have you told the king?" She asked.

"Of course I have spoken to the king. He doesn't believe that it's William and has told me to make no moves against him. The slaughtering of the livestock is just a warning, there's no way an animal or man could get past my gates or my men. He's letting me know that he has someone on the inside working for him."

Cassandra gasped,  "Oh no, that's awful! Do you have any idea who it could be?"

"I do." He nodded.

"Why haven't you arrested him then? "

"Because I want to be sure, and I have some following him. Which leads me to another discussion that we need to have. I need you to stay in the castle until further notice. I will have one of my most trusted men escort you around."

"Is that really necessary? Can I at least go to the gardens?  " she asked. She didn't need someone following her around all day, especially a stranger.

"Yes it is. I do not mean to inconvenience you but it is the only way I can assure your protection when I am not around. You may go to the gardens but only with me, understood?" He said seriously. 

"Yes I understand." Cassandra answered.

Smiling he moved closer to her causing her to suck in her breath. "Good, now enough of this serious talk, I have been waiting all day to do this." He said before kissing her.

This time she did not hesitate to kiss him back. She too had been waiting to kiss him again. It seemed as if all of her senses came alive when she was with him this way. His kisses seemed to become more urgent and he laid her down on the lounge. Just when she thought her heart beat couldn't get any louder it seemed to triple in volume.

"Is this it? Is he going to take me right here and now? I don't think I'd ready for this." She thought.

Alexander's hand that had been slowly caressing her leg began to creep higher, snapping her out on her thoughts.

"Wait", she exclaimed as she broke her mouth away from his, "I think this should be all for now."

Alexander regarded her utterly rumpled state for a moment before getting a  devilish look in his eyes. 

"Alright Cassandra,  this is enough.....for now. But I am a man who always gets what I want, and you my dear are at the top of my list."