Chapter 3

2 years later              

  “Fili?” Dis asked through the boy’s room door.

                “Yes Mum?” Fili replied.

                “Dwalin and Gloin are waiting in the living room, love.”

                “alright. Thanks Mum, I’ll be out in a bit.” Fili said, strapping on his swords. He made sure all his braids were neatly in place and tight. Then he rushed to put his boots on. He felt slightly embarrassed. He should’ve been ready.

                All the while he was getting ready, 5 year old Kili sat there on their bed, brooding. He didn’t want his brother to leave. Fili was always near him and being a good big brother. But now Fili had to go, for a week long training session with Dwalin and Gloin.

                “Can I please come?” Kili whimpered, trying one last time.

                Fili looked up at his brother from the floor. “Kili, you know you have to wait. You know you can’t come.”

                “But I want to.” The younger brother whined.

                Fili stood and ruffled Kili’s messy hair. “You don’t always get what you want Kee. Just wait, soon you’ll be with us out there. But for now, uncle Thorin will teach you a few things, okay?”

                Reluctantly and with a cute little kid scowl, Kili nodded, arms at his sides and his hands clinched in small fists.

                The older of the two chuckled, ruffled his brother’s hair again and exited the room. Like Dis had promised, Dwalin and Gloin were waiting in the living room.  Dwalin stood, leaning on his battle axe and talking with Thorin. Gloin stood with his hands on his hips, also in the conversation.

                When the red headed dwarf spotted the young heir, he smiled. “Are you ready, lad?”

                “Yes sir. I’ve been ready my whole life.” Fili responded.

                Dis came up and hugged her eldest son tightly. “Be safe, m’boy.”

                Fili pulled away from his mother and kissed her forehead. “Always mum. Just remember, I’m not going to battle. Not quite yet.” He then nodded at Thorin. “I’ll be back! Farewell!”

                Kili latched onto his brother’s leg. “Fili…”

                “Bye Kili. Be good for Uncle Thorin and Mum.” He said, as he pried Kili off, handing him to his mother and left.

                Later that night, after putting Kili to bed, Dis was reading, and Thorin was smoking his pipe. The fire was crackling and sizzling in the fire place, casting it’s dim, warm light out. It was a quiet evening. All was well.

                “Mum?”

                Dis looked up and saw Kili standing in the hallway, rubbing one of his eyes with the back of his hand. He looked really tired. She closed her book and walked over to her son. “Kili? What’s wrong?”

                “I miss Fili.” Kili yawned. “I can’t sleep.”

                Dis smiled at him and kissed his head. “He’ll be back. I’m sure he misses you too, sweet.”

                Thorin stood and took Kili by the hand. “Come on, I’ll read you a story. Okay?”

                Kili’s face lit up a little, as much as a tired little boy’s could. “Okay!”

                Before Dis went to bed, she went in to check on Kili, pretty sure Thorin had gone to bed. It was pretty late, and she knew that Kili HAD to be asleep by now. Thorin too. When Dis entered the room, she stifled a chuckle. She found Thorin and Kili asleep. Thorin had one of his arms around Kili who was nestled up against him, fast asleep, and the other hand on his chest where a book also rested. He was snoring, Kili was too, a little. She smiled, walking in and blowing out the candle, and then leaving, smiling to herself.

                The week went by faster than thought. Fili was home in no time. And when he came through the door, the first person to greet him was his little brother. Kili attacked his legs, hugging him tightly. Fili had just laughed and hugged Kili, then Dis and Thorin. Gloin and Dwalin gave a great report, saying that Fili was exceptional and very skilled and that he would make a fine warrior.

                “That’s good to hear.” Thorin said, nodding. He looked at Fili. “You are making a finer heir every day, lad.”

sorry it took me forever to update. I had to think. The first version of this chapter was very choppy and longer than it should've been. so here's a modified version... XD Thanks for reading!

~♠Ember♠