Chapter 4

5 years later

The time had finally come. Kili had finally reached the age of ten and could finally go train with his brother, Dwalin and Gloin. When the older dwarves had told the youngest one that they’d be going at the beginning of that week, the little one was jumping up and down with excitement. He had waited for forever it seemed. Of course, then again, five years seemed like forever for a small child. He wasted no time in getting ready, throwing his things in a sack and running around.

“Uncle! Uncle!” He ran up to Thorin who was sitting in the armchair, smoking a pipe. The smoke he blew from his mouth curling in the air then dissipating.

“What is it Kili?” he asked, smoke billowing from his mouth.

The little dwarf looked at his uncle, extremely flustered. “What do I do about a weapon? I don’t have one yet and I need one for training!”

Thorin chuckled and ruffled the boy’s hair. “We’ll worry about that at training. For now, go to bed. You leave tomorrow and you need to be well rested.”

“But-”

“At training. Go on, to bed now.”

Kili nodded sullenly and went to his room after kissing his mother’s cheek goodnight. He slipped his tunic off, tossing it on his sack and climbed in bed.

It was long after when Fili climbed in next to him. The older dwarf was required to do a few more chores before bed, and usually came in much later than that night. But with their leaving for training the next day, he was allowed to come in early to go to bed.

There was a moment of silence once Fili had settled comfortably and pulled the covers over him.

Kili looked at his brother who had his back turned toward him. The youngest dwarf was fidgety and unable to sleep and he had to ask questions. “Fili?”

“Yes?” he responded after a moment.

“What did you do at your first training session? About weapons I mean…”

“Dwalin had me try a couple and decided I was doing fine with swords. Why?”

“I just wanted to know…”

“Hmmm. Alright.” Fili yawned and went back to trying to sleep.

Kili stared up at the dark ceiling, excited, still fidgety. “Fili?”

The brother sighed. “Yes Kili?”

“What do we do at training?”

“... We train…”

“Right… sorry…”

The blonde dwarf turned, facing his younger brother. “Kili, are you nervous?”

Kili sighed and nodded, still staring at the ceiling. “Yes…”

“Well don’t be. It’ll be fine. We’re going to have fun. Relax. I understand. I was nervous my first day too but there’s really nothing to be worried about, okay?”

Again, Kili nodded. “Alright… if you say so.”

“Good. Now go to sleep. We’ve got to get up early tomorrow.” With that, Fili turned back around.

“Fili?”

Fili tried to suppress a groan but it didn’t really work. “What is it now Kee?”

“Thanks for being my brother.”

The blonde dwarf took a moment then chuckled. “It wasn’t a choice but I’m glad to be. Good night Kee.”