Love and a Drug

NEW NOTE: So this is gonna be sort of a short chapter, and I apologize. I'm trying to update more frequently, but between 2 jobs and school its been pretty tough. I am, however, starting a new story on here that I have a lot more inspiration for. Not trying to advertise it or anything, but if any of you enjoy my writing and want to read something that will get updated more, i'd suggest going and checking out my new one, The Dead and the Living. I'd really appreciate hearing what you guys think. Thanks so much!

Adams POV

"Maddi..." a wide smile crossed my lips, I hadn't even anticipated feeling this happy. She looked so beautiful, and much, much healthier. I watched as her light brown hair cascaded down her slender back, her collarbones less pronounced and much more attractive looking. She was still very tiny, but her bones no longer looked as visible or prominent. And her eyes had regained their old sparkle, looking beautiful and happy again.

She smiled slightly and nodded, "Adam. How are you?"

"I'm great now that you're here."

She just simply responded with a small okay, and went off to unpack her bags. Ashton set a hand on my shoulder, and I sighed. She seemed set on staying broken up.

"She'll see that you've changed man, it'll all be okay."

I nodded back miserably, "I'm going to go take a shower and nap." I wasn't really going to sleep though.

"Okay, i'll see you in a few hours," He replied, "I'm going to see if Maddi wants help with her things."

I watched him walk away, and counted to twenty before walking to my bathroom. I locked the door and then stuffed a towel in at the bottom of the door. I turned on the shower at full stream. I waited a few minutes before plunging into my addiction. Within a few moments, however, the heroin was running full force throughout my veins. An immediate relief set in and I slumped against the toilet, feeling invincible. The world just seemed to pass by in a tired haze. After about a half hour, I turned off the shower and crept into my room.

Slinking into my bed, I let reality slip away.

She's dead Adam.

"What?" I said, my throat almost not allowing the words to come out.

She's gone.

I didn't know who or what was saying these things. Standing in a room full of people, I was pretty sure I was the only one who could hear the voices. Everyone else seemed joyful, dancing and talking with one another.

"Who's dead?" I repeated, trying to get someone's attention. They all ignored me.

I know you loved her Adam. It's okay to admit it.

A chill went down my spine. I felt an overwhelming feeling of guilt, and I could only think of one thing...Maddi. Where was she? Was she safe?

I clambered through the people, but the crowd was so thick, and no one would let me through. They all started laughing louder and louder. Their faces seemed to melt into one another, their features becoming monotonous and disturbing.

One by one, they all began to dance. A strange little movement, an eerie shuffle that looked like something out of a horror movie.

"She's dead...she's dead...she's dead..." They all began to sing, sounding cheerful and uninhibited. The laughing became louder and the singing threatened to destroy my ear drums.

I woke up in a cold sweat. Where was Maddi? Throwing my covers on the ground, I ran straight to her room and threw the door open, ready to scream. But there she lay, peaceful and resting, her delicate face nestled softly in her pillow.

Returning to my bedroom, I couldn't get the voices out of my head. I imagined the figures dancing and laughing, and a chill went down my spine.

Only one thing could fix this feeling, and luckily, the answer was sitting in his bathroom drawer, reading to be injected.